You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cost of starting a pharmacy
Started by VictorOfHungerGames
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What type of sterile pharmacy?Does anyone know how much it would cost to start a sterile compounding pharmacy? A friend of mine is wanting to open one and asked if i wanted to invest in it. Anyone have any experience in that?
Are you asking about total cost, or just equipment/stock?
I'm interested in knowing as well. Although I'll love to know the cost to open a regular small size independent pharmacy without any compounding attached.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how much it would cost to start a sterile compounding pharmacy?
MicroSphere™ M4 Compounding Aseptic Isolator $12,000
Cefazolin 1g vial $0.61
Baxter 100mL 0.9% Sodium chloride minibag $1.77
Total cost for your first dose of Cefazolin 2gm: $12002.99
Add to that standard equipment, computer, software, printer, incubator, building, pharmacy license, and refrigerator. Could you be more specific about what type of pharmacy, what products (TPN, antibiotics?), who the target customers are, whether you'd be doing sterility testing for extended stability, how you would deliver (own driver, courier, shipping service)? Do you have a site with an ISO Class 5 cleanroom, or do you need to have one constructed? Do you have customers or do you need sales reps to start collecting business? 503A or 503B?
Labor cost is a BIG factor obviously.....Have you checked with the insurance company if they will even insure such an operation..and if so..how much? You need expert help on this one just to be safe...
MicroSphere™ M4 Compounding Aseptic Isolator $12,000
Cefazolin 1g vial $0.61
Baxter 100mL 0.9% Sodium chloride minibag $1.77
Total cost for your first dose of Cefazolin 2gm: $12002.99
Add to that standard equipment, computer, software, printer, incubator, building, pharmacy license, and refrigerator. Could you be more specific about what type of pharmacy, what products (TPN, antibiotics?), who the target customers are, whether you'd be doing sterility testing for extended stability, how you would deliver (own driver, courier, shipping service)? Do you have a site with an ISO Class 5 cleanroom, or do you need to have one constructed? Do you have customers or do you need sales reps to start collecting business? 503A or 503B?
So far, I know that it would be chemo/IV and non-sterile compounding pharmacy. He was trying to market to oncologists near by recently. He already is working on getting the clean room set up I believe. I don't think he has any marketers at the moment but I did mention to him about it. I'm assuming it would be 503A since he would be compounding on his own, not outsourcing?
I wanted to get others perspective on this since he's the only person I know who's trying to get this done.
chemo/IV and non-sterile compounding pharmacy
You just added non-sterile to the mix, so that changes everything. I can't really give a better answer regarding cost. It seems fair to ask your friend for his business plan, if you would be an investor. I can add that, as you describe it, it's a 503A facility making patient-specific doses. (A 503B facility engages in manufacturing, makes doses not pursuant to a specific patient order, and involves more regulation, testing, and cost.)
So far, I know that it would be chemo/IV and non-sterile compounding pharmacy. He was trying to market to oncologists near by recently. He already is working on getting the clean room set up I believe. I don't think he has any marketers at the moment but I did mention to him about it. I'm assuming it would be 503A since he would be compounding on his own, not outsourcing?
I wanted to get others perspective on this since he's the only person I know who's trying to get this done.
It’ll cost you well over 4 years and $200k. Think about how much debt it’ll take to go to pharmacy school then decide to open up your own pharmacy right after.Does anyone know how much it would cost to start a sterile compounding pharmacy? A friend of mine is wanting to open one and asked if i wanted to invest in it. Anyone have any experience in that?
about tree fiddyDoes anyone know how much it would cost to start a sterile compounding pharmacy? A friend of mine is wanting to open one and asked if i wanted to invest in it. Anyone have any experience in that?
I was doing some research on 503B and associated cost to build one. If you are looking for semi automated operation, 20 millions will get you a seat at the table as partner. Fully automated like Anthenex or Nephron are heading toward could run you 100 millions dollars.
Small operation like Medifare would be about 500k which everything operated manually.
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Small operation like Medifare would be about 500k which everything operated manually.
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K