Cost of Studying for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tesfawMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the maximum amount of money one could spend to study WELL for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

No, the maximum amount.

There is no maximum amount a person can spend studying to do well. It all depends on your approach/ study preference/ whether you have the brain for the test. I mean a person can spend hundreds of dollars and don't do well; it's based on you and the motivation you have to succeed.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no maximum amount a person can spend studying to do well. It all depends on your approach/ study preference/ whether you have the brain for the test. I mean a person can spend hundreds of dollars and don't do well; it's based on you and the motivation you have to succeed.

I'm thinking that the OP is asking what the maximum investment you would put in to preparing for the MCAT.

While there is a financial investment, there is also a time and effort investment. Someone may not be able to spend a lot of money, but they may decide to utilize as much "free" resources as they can.

I agree with Kriss,

I had been out of school for a couple years, and my major had nothing to do with premed...and ALL my preparation cost me about 120 dollars...

I used some old worn out EK books i got on ebay, and some old kaplan books someone gave me... i used wikipedia and the local library a lot (when I needed a textbook to help me better understand something)... most of that money was for buying some of those ridiculously expensive AAMC practice exams...

it's not about how much money you spend - it's how you study...

good luck!

Let me rephrase. What is the average amount of money spent for studying for the MCAT?

taking a course is pretty popular where I'm from so most people pay whatever the course costs... which can be pretty pricey

Hmm let me think

Kaplan book: 75
EK book set: 150
Ek 1001's: 100 about for all
Princeton workout: 20 bucks
Kaplan practice test book: 15 bucks

4 BR books: 100
BR practice tests (buying later): 200

AAMC Tests: 245

Total: 905

Might buy the 10 gold standard tests for 150 later..