1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Cost of Studying for MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by tesfawMD, Jan 3, 2009.

1. tesfawMD

5+ Year Member

What would be the maximum amount of money one could spend to study WELL for the MCAT?

2. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you mean the minimum amount of money needed to do well?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tesfawMD

5+ Year Member

No, the maximum amount.

4. gabeybaby

gabeybaby ♥♠☻
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    There is no maximum amount a person can spend studying to do well. It all depends on your approach/ study preference/ whether you have the brain for the test. I mean a person can spend hundreds of dollars and don't do well; it's based on you and the motivation you have to succeed.

5. Krisss17

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I'm thinking that the OP is asking what the maximum investment you would put in to preparing for the MCAT.

While there is a financial investment, there is also a time and effort investment. Someone may not be able to spend a lot of money, but they may decide to utilize as much "free" resources as they can.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with Kriss,

I had been out of school for a couple years, and my major had nothing to do with premed...and ALL my preparation cost me about 120 dollars...

I used some old worn out EK books i got on ebay, and some old kaplan books someone gave me... i used wikipedia and the local library a lot (when I needed a textbook to help me better understand something)... most of that money was for buying some of those ridiculously expensive AAMC practice exams...

it's not about how much money you spend - it's how you study...

good luck!

7. tesfawMD

5+ Year Member

Let me rephrase. What is the average amount of money spent for studying for the MCAT?

8. rocuronium

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would say a few hundred dollars. I probably spent about $400 for the review books, practice tests and everything else.

9. tesfawMD

5+ Year Member

What did you score?

10. Dr Lyss

Dr Lyss Professional Student
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    taking a course is pretty popular where I'm from so most people pay whatever the course costs... which can be pretty pricey

11. 229141

Pre-Medical
    Hmm let me think

Kaplan book: 75
    EK book set: 150
    Ek 1001's: 100 about for all
    Princeton workout: 20 bucks
    Kaplan practice test book: 15 bucks

4 BR books: 100
    BR practice tests (buying later): 200

AAMC Tests: 245

Total: 905

Might buy the 10 gold standard tests for 150 later..

12. rocuronium

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I did very well. I attribute it more to the effort I put into studying than to the amount of money spent, however.