Costanzo Physiology vs. BRS Physiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon0013

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats the difference between these 2 texts...costanzo is listed as the author in both texts...im looking for a few texts to keep me busy before starting MS1 since i never took an anat and phys class as an undergrad...a friend also mentioned "Clinical Microbio Made Ridiculously easy"...

Members don't see this ad.

One is a text (written in paragraphs) and the other (BRS) is an outline in bullet point format.

BRS is highly recommended for studying for the USMLE Step 1, but it may not be enough text (hence, the longer Constanzo text) for learning the material the first time around during your first year.

No use pre-reading any basic science material before the year starts. Read a novel or, if you must read anything at all, maybe Iserson's Getting Into a Residency. :p

I don't remember the specifics of them, but I do remember going thru both those books, but liking Costanzo physiology more. More diagrams which were very good at demonstrating concepts, I think.

I'll second what jennyboo is saying though. It's the summer before M1 year. Most of my class had never had anatomy or physiology. Go have some fun. Travel. Take advantage of the absolute lack of responsibility. :)

Congrats on getting into med school...I've heard a lot of great things about SLU from current students.

Oh, and "micro made stupid" is a fabulous book, but many places won't break that out until the 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The big Constanzo is awesome. Your class will probably be alot more detailed but I would just read the whole chapter at the beginning of the block and let the details flesh out the skeleton.

BRS is just a bulleted summary, not enough to learn the material but is enough to review. Big costanzo rocks.

big costanzo is the one for courses, but forget the idea of reading it before you start school. Nothing will really make sense and you will not have the motivation to grind through renal and pulmonary phys without the pre-test fear.

Relax and enjoy yourself while you still have time; if you can't find anything else to keep you busy, then learn Spanish or something that you won't have time for during med school.

Thanks for the tip about big phys guys! I was using the brs book and I am just not good at learning from bullet point review books. Our phys lectures are hard and the stuff just floats by me. I ordered the big book just now. :thumbup: