Costco Optometry and VSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orbiter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about signing a lease for a Costco optometry office in the east coast. I don't want to sign up to be an affiliate or an in network VSP provider. I prefer to be an out of network VSP provider. It seems many if not all Costco ODs are now VSP affiliate or in network providers. Will I be denied a Costco lease or will my lease be cancelled if I decline to sign up to be a VSP provider?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends! If you are a trying to sign a lease in a desperate need area for the company they'll be more hands off in your decisions. In my opinion, they'll want you signed up for every vision insurance that is available. The lease contracts will always be structured in the companies best interest. If you want this language in the contract you can specifically request it but don't count on it. Most contracts will say that a 3rd party (i.e. Cosco) cannot interfere with the licensed doctor's professional judgement. The leases will be structured that says either party can terminate the contract within 30-60 days. So if you don't play by their rules they will find a reason to replace you eventually. Consider after a year, a new graduate is desperate for a job and tells Costco that he or she will accept VSP in network.