costs of each college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastapro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at MCPHS-boston, UConn, and SUNY Buffalo.... anybody know the FULL costs(tuition+housing+meal plan+miscellaneous fees) of any of these? I want to know the prices because I'm just going to go to the cheapest one.. I'm out of state btw. And also, I got 12k scholarship to MCPHS.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to each school's financial aid website and look for "cost of attendance." It should factor in all of those items that you listed.

Here's info for UConn:
http://www.bursar.uconn.edu/tuit_ugr_current.html

You'll need to look at undergrad tuition (pre-pharm through P2) and pharmacy professional tuition (P3-P4). There are a lot of options for room and board as you get further on, including area apartments. Most students live off campus for the last 2 years. I lived in a 2br apartment with a roommate, and I only paid $450/mo plus utilities.

I love the UConn program, but keep in mind you'll have to reapply after your prereqs are complete. I definitely recommend UConn anyway. The faculty in the SOP really care about you and look out for you, and being part of a large university is great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking at MCPHS-boston, UConn, and SUNY Buffalo.... anybody know the FULL costs(tuition+housing+meal plan+miscellaneous fees) of any of these? I want to know the prices because I'm just going to go to the cheapest one.. I'm out of state btw. And also, I got 12k scholarship to MCPHS.

So many ways to find out this information, but out of the three UB is the cheapest. You need to get in first.

ya i got into each of those colleges already.... how much is buffalo out of state? i can't seem to find the price with everything factored in.... Also, @ucrx, what do u mean reapply? and how many ppl get in the reapplication process?

ya i got into each of those colleges already.... how much is buffalo out of state? i can't seem to find the price with everything factored in.... Also, @ucrx, what do u mean reapply? and how many ppl get in the reapplication process?

Out of state tuition compares well with UCONN, but in NY you can become an instate student during your P2 year which cuts down the cost considerably. Additionally, western new york cost of living is really low compared to Storrs or Boston.

At some point in time, I was in an almost exact situation as you, only that I had to choose between MCP, University of Pittsburgh and UB.

im kind of confused on this tution in state and out of state thing.. lets say i go to UConn, would the first year be out-of-state and the rest be in-state fees since i technically live there if im in college?

I answered some of the questions in your PM, but in case other people are considering UConn I'll answer things here too.

UConn is a 2+4 program. During your second year (or later, if you want/take longer to finish prerequisits) you apply to get into the school of pharmacy. You do this through pharmcas and you have to take the PCATs. They take 100 students a year. If you don't get in, you can apply to other schools (even at the same time as your app to UConn), reapply the next year, or finish your bachelor's in something else and apply to UConn or other pharmacy schools. Many pharmacy schools prefer a BS first anyway.

For in state/out of state tuition, you qualify for in state tuition if you have been a resident of CT for a year. To do this, you have to actually have a residential address. Usually most pharmacy students do this after living off campus for a year, either in time for their P3 or P4 year because tuition jumps then. I believe you also have to demonstrate independence and make this CT residence your permanent address, but I'm not sure. You can probably find out through the bursar's office (bursar.uconn.edu).

My best friend is a student at MCP. We both loved our experiences. Her school cost more, but I'm from CT so I got in state tuition all the way through. Both schools have great rotation opportunities. UConn has sports, but MCP is in the city. MCP has somewhat of a bad rep in New England, but they're a good school. I think part of this rep is because their NAPLEX passing rate isn't as good as UConn's and it is a 0-6 program taking students straight out of high school. Their passing rate is usually better than the national average, so it is definitely still a good school. Even though they're a 0-6, if you don't do well enough in your first 2 years they kick you out of the pharmacy program. I think you should pick a program based on where you'd be happiest and work hard and you'll get in/stay in the pharmacy program. I don't think either of us would do anything different if we did it again.

Last edited:
I thought UConn only considered Conn. residents for their program?

I'm not exactly sure, but I think the SOP considers both CT residents and any UConn students. Anyone can apply to UConn as a freshman or a transfer. They just redid their whole application process so I'm not sure.

I'm not exactly sure, but I think the SOP considers both CT residents and any UConn students. Anyone can apply to UConn as a freshman or a transfer. They just redid their whole application process so I'm not sure.

I've always meant to call the admin office but never got around to it. On one page of their website it says they only consider CT residents, yet under tuition costs they give out of state estimates.