COT tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mercutio99

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm off to the Air Force's COT in Alabama in a couple weeks. I was hoping I could get a few insider tips from those who have been there recently. I know the basic schedule, but would appreciate any specifics you may have.
(i.e. Is there enough free time that I should bother taking my b-ball sneakers?)

Thanks!
 
COT is a blast. The first week is a bit overwhelming but it gets better. There's tons of free time after that (I watched the Stanley Cup finals every night). You'll make great friends and have a lot of fun. The only prerequisite is a good attitude - if you just stay positive, you'll have a blast. I miss it a lot but made good friends for life while there.
 
Hey, great to hear that COT can be an enjoyable experience. Actually, I'm very much looking forward to it (other than the 5:30 PT and Alabama July temps). I'm hoping to learn more about my role as an AF officer, military history and tradition, and definitely meeting fellow HPSP students. Anything can be a drag w/ a bad attitude, so I plan on making the best of the opportunity. A month goes by so quickly regardless!

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you will eventually be granted weekends and I would suggest travelling to Panama City, FL. you will make mistakes, but don't let it drag you down. do not waste too much money purchasing clothes beforehand. the suggested list includes way too many items than are actually needed for COT.
 
i'll be going in july as well, and have always heard to purchase your uniforms early so i picked them up the other day. Hopefully I didn't get too much but I ended up spending $906 which is not as much as I had expected. Looking forward to it...
 
Another COT question... I know we can get reimbursed for transportation from the airport in Montgomery to Maxwell AFB. But what about transportation from our home to our airport of departure?
 
NJEMT1 said:
Another COT question... I know we can get reimbursed for transportation from the airport in Montgomery to Maxwell AFB. But what about transportation from our home to our airport of departure?


Sure. Door to door, as they say. Just keep track of it, if you have someone drive you, you list it as POV and get mileage. If you take a cab/shuttle get a receipt.
 
How many civilian clothes should I bring to COT? After class when people are hanging out in the dorms, are we in regular clothes or still in uniform? Is there a suggested packing list somewhere? I haven't seen one. Also can anyone tell me what to expect on the first day? Thanks!
 
and are we supposed to receive "orders" before we leave in the mail

if so, has anyone who will be going to the July COT received theirs yet?

thanks
 
bbawco1 said:
and are we supposed to receive "orders" before we leave in the mail

if so, has anyone who will be going to the July COT received theirs yet?

thanks

Normally you have orders in hand before traveling. Otherwise, a paperwork snafu could leave you un-reimbursed 🙁
 
I received my orders in the mail a couple weeks ago. my flight itinerary came by email today, but i had to call omega travel to get it. Try calling the 800 number in the email we got awhile back. They seem to be pretty good about fixing things like that quick. goodluck.
 
I also received my orders via regular mail.

A few more questions...

Will we receive a hard copy of our flight tickets in the mail? Or do we just show up with the email of the flight itinerary?

In regard to PT....Is it true that women can only wear white sports bras? Also, can we wear ankle socks? I heard maybe not.

How many civilian clothes is everyone bringing?

Thanks for any help!
 
i'm going to bring quite a few sets of civilian clothes, but i'm driving so i'll be able to keep a lot of stuff in my car.
i got all of my orders straightened out with no problem so thanks a bunch.
 
I think we are supposed to receive hard copy tickets. This crazy friend of mine had her tickets delayed because she forgot to fax her orders to the travel company in charge. Maybe you're in the same boat?

I'm so looking forward to COT! Let me know about the sports bra thing.

NJEMT1 said:
I also received my orders via regular mail.

A few more questions...

Will we receive a hard copy of our flight tickets in the mail? Or do we just show up with the email of the flight itinerary?

In regard to PT....Is it true that women can only wear white sports bras? Also, can we wear ankle socks? I heard maybe not.

How many civilian clothes is everyone bringing?

Thanks for any help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I went through COT summer of 2001 and it was a blast - we were at Gunter annex (of Montgomery AFB) and there are many fond memories of watching movies on cable while polishing the ol' boots, throwing back drinks at the on-base bar down the street, and of course our Spirit Missions which involved the static display next to our muster point and the other classrooms 😉

We didn't need civilian clothes the first week or so because even off duty we had to wear those crappy PT uniforms (the crappy blue short shorts and the dorky hats that brand you as a doofus HPSP student) but later on when we had the weekends off we had a chance to head down to Panama City as a flight (well, partial flight) and relax. Bring a few changes of clothes and that swim suit if you plan on doing the same!

The only things you have to remember are to pick up the correct way to address the officers, study the lessons the day before, and %$$@ it, SHOW UP ON TIME TO MORNING MUSTER!!! Nothing cheeses off your flight more than every other flight saying, "All present and accounted for, sir!" and your flight saying, "Two missing (DOH!)" ...and by on time we mean ten minutes early, in keeping with our adage, "Early is on time, on time is late," and, "Hurry up and wait!" Oh - and for your urine drug screen, get in line before you have to go because I think I suffered some renal damage because I got in line when I started thinking I had to go ...right behind 100 other people. Guess how long it takes to chaperone 100 other people to go to the bathroom... And now that I think about it, bring your immunization records - I was a little lazy about getting mine, and they're free, but getting every immunization all at once in both arms kind of hurts.

COT is a whole lot of fun - just know that you'll be spending a lot of time grumbling because you're black flagging almost every day (temperature too high) - we missed our Confidence Course and our leadership activities got shortened up some because of the %$#@ heat - who decided to have COT at an AFB in the South lol????
 
For people who have questions about COT. There is a sight: airforceots.com that has a lot of information. My boyfriend lived by this site before he left of OTS and said it was really helpful to have answers to all of his questions before he left. There are forums on there specifically for COT. Hope this helps.
 
Alli Cat said:
I think we are supposed to receive hard copy tickets. This crazy friend of mine had her tickets delayed because she forgot to fax her orders to the travel company in charge. Maybe you're in the same boat?

Hmmm...I didn't fax anyone from the travel company a copy of my orders. But I did receive the email with the flight itinerary from them. A friend of mine going to COT called up the flight company though and they told him just to go to the airport with the flight itinerary and an ID and we will get etickets. So I am planning to do the same and hope for the best! See you in Montgomery!
 
NJEMT1 said:
Hmmm...I didn't fax anyone from the travel company a copy of my orders. But I did receive the email with the flight itinerary from them. A friend of mine going to COT called up the flight company though and they told him just to go to the airport with the flight itinerary and an ID and we will get etickets. So I am planning to do the same and hope for the best! See you in Montgomery!

I just took a trip on a commercial flight. We also had an itinerary, but when we tried to get our etickets, we couldn't. We had to call back to my squadron and have them fax the orders.

Not a COT experience, but a recent mil travel experience.
 
Does anyone know what happened to that last post from the guy who just returned from COT? He said it had gotten harder and was more focussed on making us officers.

Anyone else back from the June COT class who can tell us about it?

And thanks so much to everyone who posted their thoughts and for the link to airforceots.com!!!
 
Just got back from COT Thursday night. Feel free to ask any questions.

Cyndi