COTA to OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imouto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently graduated with a bachelors in linguistics. My major GPA is 3.8, but my overall GPA is 2.85. Unfortunately, I took all my major classes first, so my last 60 credits don't look pretty. Right now, I'm taking prereq classes at the local community college and am obviously aiming to get a 4.0 in my prereqs.

Is it a better idea to become a COTA then apply for OT or just try for OT right away? I don't plan on taking the GREs until I finish my prereqs, so should I just wait until then?

Also, just to explain the linguistics degree, I was originally planning to go into SLP, but all the schools are much too far for me now. I'm happy doing any sort of rehab, though, so OT is more feasible.

Members don't see this ad.

I think Nova has a distance SLP program, you might want to look into that. Also just my opinion I would apply to OTA and OT programs and go where I'm accepted. I think with good standings in other areas you can still get into an OT programs. Its best to try.

If you really want to be an OT, becoming a COTA would just be a waste of time because you would still have to take all the OT courses anyway. In my program, they have a special program for COTAs to become OT, but they have to take all the same courses non-COTAs do. On the other hand, if you would be happy just being a COTA because you don't think you'll make it into OT or whatever, then becoming a COTA is always an option, but it should probably be your last option.

If you really want to be an OT, becoming a COTA would just be a waste of time because you would still have to take all the OT courses anyway. In my program, they have a special program for COTAs to become OT, but they have to take all the same courses non-COTAs do. On the other hand, if you would be happy just being a COTA because you don't think you'll make it into OT or whatever, then becoming a COTA is always an option, but it should probably be your last option.

Agreed

If you really want to be an OT you should go for it. It might be a bit more schooling but you will benefit in the long run with a more competitive salary, more flexible and diverse job opportunities and more room for growth within your profession.