Couch to 5K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Aaalrighty... Finished W9D1 this morning, with an extra minute added to the end. Now it's just a matter of adding some distance onto that and eventually do intervals to improve my speed. I'm honestly surprised every time I go another 20+ minutes. Jogging for more than 5 minutes was hard for me in middle school even (yeah, TOTALLY not athletic), so to bust that out without even thinking is an awesome feeling.

Members don't see this ad.

Did my 6-miler today!! I'm not sure why but it felt SO amazing! I slowed down a little and did the 6 miles in 60 minutes flat, but there were still quite a few hills I incorporated. Maybe it was the change of scenery-I'm down in Columbus for the weekend getting ready to move on Monday so I had to run on campus. Lots more interesting that running down miles and miles of straight, rural roads at home. But I had no pain, no breathing issues, no nothing the whole time. It was WAY better than last week's 5-miler was!

So with that, week 3 of my half marathon training is complete! Looking forward to a nice, easy 3 miles on Monday and kind of dreading but kind of excited to try the EIGHT miles this Saturday!! Yikes!

Way to go, EG!!

I did W9D2 yesterday, but at 4:30 pm instead of 6 am like I'm used to, so I was dying. Finished it though and happy I did. Tomorrow, I graduate! Holy smokes...

Members don't see this ad :)
Way to go, EG!!

I did W9D2 yesterday, but at 4:30 pm instead of 6 am like I'm used to, so I was dying. Finished it though and happy I did. Tomorrow, I graduate! Holy smokes...

WOOOHOOOOO! You should now come to the rec with us and "run" on the treadmills for "30 minutes" which translates to "really long walk warm up and slowly amble along while watching sex & the city reruns"

WOOOHOOOOO! You should now come to the rec with us and "run" on the treadmills for "30 minutes" which translates to "really long walk warm up and slowly amble along while watching sex & the city reruns"

Ummmmmm this offends me... MY warmup isn't that long.

Jk it is but we ride our bikes to school so its all good.

Ummmmmm this offends me... MY warmup isn't that long.

Jk it is but we ride our bikes to school so its all good.

Yours might not be, but mine is. And sometimes it reappears in the middle of my run! It's the strangest thing!

And yeah. 8mi bike ride round trip makes up for my running laziness, right? ... Right?

Also, WTF is your avatar, you nerd?

Graduated!! Not right now, but this morning. Anyway, it was a pretty good run, but the boy says it's time for interval training, so that's not so fun.

I'd go to student rec with you, breenie, but I'm a pretty big fan of the outside stuff, so unless there's some ridiculous weather going on, you'll probably find me outside every morning. Plus, the dog really likes it when I take her with me.

My avatar is a Skeksis. They are bad guys in the 1982 Jim Henson fantasy film The Dark Crystal. Yeah its pretty weird but kind of awesome. Its on netflix instant play. DO IT!

WOW!!!! Way to go EVERYONE!!!! It's amazing to see all the accomplishments on this board.

First and foremost, EllieG - congrats on it all sista! :highfive:
Oh my goodness! 6 mile runs... 25+ pounds down... You should be very very proud of yourself.

scb44f - congrats on graduation and best of luck as you start on your new educational journey. Sure you'll do great!

As for the rest, I am most impressed with your willingness to stick with the program and all that you've accomplished - whether big or small. Every little bit towards a more active lifestyle is a great thing!

Now, as for me, in my effort to get my @#$%&! together this summer, I started to exercise more frequently, changed some bad habits, and now find myself nearly 20 pounds down from June. Due to this, I opted to go against my orthopedic's advice (only run when chased) and took myself on a little walk/jog today for the first time in more than 5 years. I have an off road trail along a major creek that's a little piece of heaven in the city very near my apartment. Well, I had me a BLAST!!! I didn't think I would be doing any jogging, but once I got out on the trail my feet actually WANTED to run. Simply amazing what Mother Nature can do for one's motivation... So, I did some switching on and off between jogging and walking and felt pretty darn good afterward. We'll see how my knee feels in the am. The only thing I can see is needing a good pair of trail running shoes given that my feet were slightly sore afterwards and I don't think I quite hit two miles. Seems I'm off to the running store tomorrow...

Keep up the great work, all!!

scb44f, congrats on graduating!!! You've come so far and I really hope you continue running and posting on here!

LMMS, thank you so much! Sounds like you aren't doing too shabby yourself :D I'm glad you had a good walk/jog today and I hope your knee feels top notch in the morning.

I did Week 4, Day 2 of my half marathon training today; 5 miles. I had to go in the middle of the day (~4 pm) because I worked from 8:30a-3:00p and my mom and I went to see a movie tonight. It was mostly cloudy for the first half of the run (5 miles) but then the sun came out and made the last half a challenge. But I still did really well; I did the 5 miles in 45:59! That's about my 5K pace, and I had no idea I could keep that up for 5 miles! As good as that felt, I'm really looking forward to a nice easy 3 miles tomorrow. Then the big scary 8 miles on Saturday...eeeek!

I haven't updated on my weight loss in a while so I guess I can do that. I have been maintaining really well at about 3 lbs under what I was when I stopped using WW. I've loosened up a smidgen but for the most part have kept all the healthy habits I learned, and my tastes definitely changed so now I make better choices on a daily basis. I'm proud of myself for being able to maintain my loss in an environment where food choices sometimes aren't so much in my control (at my parents' house) and have no doubt that it will be even better when I can start doing my own grocery shopping again when I move back to school in a week.

I'm chugging along in all ways, and I really hope that I can finish the 8 miles strong on Saturday so I can keep building my running confidence!

Now, as for me, in my effort to get my @#$%&! together this summer, I started to exercise more frequently, changed some bad habits, and now find myself nearly 20 pounds down from June. Due to this, I opted to go against my orthopedic's advice (only run when chased) and took myself on a little walk/jog today for the first time in more than 5 years. I have an off road trail along a major creek that's a little piece of heaven in the city very near my apartment. Well, I had me a BLAST!!! I didn't think I would be doing any jogging, but once I got out on the trail my feet actually WANTED to run. Simply amazing what Mother Nature can do for one's motivation... So, I did some switching on and off between jogging and walking and felt pretty darn good afterward. We'll see how my knee feels in the am. The only thing I can see is needing a good pair of trail running shoes given that my feet were slightly sore afterwards and I don't think I quite hit two miles. Seems I'm off to the running store tomorrow...

Keep up the great work, all!!

Thanks, and you are doing some phenomenal work as well, I see! That has got to be a great feeling!

And seriously, EG, you totally rock.

Graduated!! Not right now, but this morning. Anyway, it was a pretty good run, but the boy says it's time for interval training, so that's not so fun.

I'd go to student rec with you, breenie, but I'm a pretty big fan of the outside stuff, so unless there's some ridiculous weather going on, you'll probably find me outside every morning. Plus, the dog really likes it when I take her with me.

I like the outdoors usually, but my allergies are really bad here. :( Once it gets colder and all of the beautiful plants die, I'll definitely head back outside.

My avatar is a Skeksis. They are bad guys in the 1982 Jim Henson fantasy film The Dark Crystal. Yeah its pretty weird but kind of awesome. Its on netflix instant play. DO IT!
Bahahah how about you educate me on this movie while we eat TastyKakes? Also, "Buttercup"? Seriously?

Last edited:
Bahahah how about you educate me on this movie while we eat TastyKakes? Also, "Buttercup"? Seriously?

Ummmmm how about that? What I'm not a buttercup/ ray of sunshine?? I hate you so much sometimes.

In other news... the tastykakes have arrived. Time to party on!! And study of course

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummmmm how about that? What I'm not a buttercup/ ray of sunshine?? I hate you so much sometimes.

In other news... the tastykakes have arrived. Time to party on!! And study of course

I was assuming 50 was the buttercup... Muahaha.

Yay Tastykakes!

Today's 8 miles was so horrible I don't really even want to talk about it...:oops: I ran the first ~3.5 miles and then did intervals of walking/running for the last 4.5. I don't know what happened. It just felt so awful. I am ashamed to admit it, especially after all the encouragement people have given me and how "awesome" my friends and family think I am for going for this...but I'm not sure if I actually have the DESIRE to run this far. Like, seriously...today, it stopped being fun. Up to about 6 miles, I was having fun. It's not about quitting when the going gets tough, because it's not like running 4, 5, 6 miles is easy by any means...it just feels doable. It makes me feel good about myself. This was just awful.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know. I really don't want to be stressing over 1/2 marathon training when I'm starting vet school in a couple short weeks. I don't need to be a super athlete, I just want to be fit and healthy. I want something fun and stress-relieving. I feel like I can achieve that with two 3-mile runs, one 4-mile run, and one 6-mile run per week. That's 16 miles a week, which if you ask me isn't too shabby.

So I have some thinking to do. It's not the end of the world if I decide not to do the half marathon; I just hate feeling like a quitter. Which I know I'm not; I've come super far from where I've started. And it's not like there's only one half marathon in the world, ever, I can always go back to it in the future if I want to. Sigh. :(

Today's 8 miles was so horrible I don't really even want to talk about it...:oops: I ran the first ~3.5 miles and then did intervals of walking/running for the last 4.5. I don't know what happened. It just felt so awful. I am ashamed to admit it, especially after all the encouragement people have given me and how "awesome" my friends and family think I am for going for this...but I'm not sure if I actually have the DESIRE to run this far. Like, seriously...today, it stopped being fun. Up to about 6 miles, I was having fun. It's not about quitting when the going gets tough, because it's not like running 4, 5, 6 miles is easy by any means...it just feels doable. It makes me feel good about myself. This was just awful.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know. I really don't want to be stressing over 1/2 marathon training when I'm starting vet school in a couple short weeks. I don't need to be a super athlete, I just want to be fit and healthy. I want something fun and stress-relieving. I feel like I can achieve that with two 3-mile runs, one 4-mile run, and one 6-mile run per week. That's 16 miles a week, which if you ask me isn't too shabby.

So I have some thinking to do. It's not the end of the world if I decide not to do the half marathon; I just hate feeling like a quitter. Which I know I'm not; I've come super far from where I've started. And it's not like there's only one half marathon in the world, ever, I can always go back to it in the future if I want to. Sigh. :(

Hey Ellie, don't get discouraged! Everyone has bad days. I've had bad runs on 2 mile days, which I can very comfortably and easily do in any normal circumstance! Don't let one day make you feel like you can't/don't want to do this, but if you really think it's not for you, don't feel like a quitter, either!

I'd say give it another chance, and if you still feel the same way after another go at a similar distance-- hey, it ain't for you! There's no shame in that. But you might have just had an off day that came at a bad time.

We still think you're wonderful and fabulous, regardless of what you do! :)

I'm jumping into this! (well, starting tomorrow...)

I ran cross-country in high school and even though I was on the slower side, I still really enjoyed and have kind of missed it. I have more free time now than I did in college and live right by a great trail and a track, so there's really no excuse.

Okay, well I've abandoned the 1/2 marathon training for now, and I feel a lot more relaxed (in a good way, not a lazy way!) about my running now. Let's see...last Monday I did 3 miles, then I did 5 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday, and 3 on Saturday. Today I did 3 miles of running and then 1/2 hour on the elliptical. Those things are deceiving! My heart rate went up and I sweated a ton on the elliptical but I didn't really get winded so I was like "sheesh, it doesn't really feel like I did anything." Then I went home and laid down for a nap and I ZONKED out and when I woke up I felt like I could barely move! So apparently I did get a good work out.

What I think I'm going to do is a 15-mile per week schedule-3, 4, 3, and 5 miles probably on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. I'll add some elliptical training and strength training in on a couple days as well. Then I am going to run a 5K on October 15 and a 10K in November (I forget the date). Then maybe by the time the Capital City 1/2 Marathon rolls around in May I'll feel up to it. But until then I feel pretty good in the changes I've made to my goals.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Well, I've been doing my best to keep it up; and it's been going quite well considering the flooding, my lousy will need to be replaced one day knee, etc... However, today, even though I was feeling great I was fighting a losing battle with my headphones! They kept falling out of my ears and then bouncing against my chest. I assume it's because I sweat like a beast, but nonetheless it's a GIANT pain the rear. Thus, I'm wondering (and chances are that this was already discussed here but I'm just too darn lazy to go searching given the late hour) if any of you have an idea for good running headphones that will work with me rather than against me? Any and all help is appreciated!

And EllieG - Delighted to see that you've come back to feeling good about things. You've done AMAZING things thus far - you're sure to continue!! :D

Thus, I'm wondering (and chances are that this was already discussed here but I'm just too darn lazy to go searching given the late hour) if any of you have an idea for good running headphones that will work with me rather than against me? Any and all help is appreciated!

I have this problem with earbuds all the time. I ended up going back to the over-the-ear bud style where you've got two seperate buds with plastic ear-shaped swooshes that fit over the ears to keep them in place. I know Sony makes them for under $15-20 and they are often marketed as "sport" style but I stole mine from my brother's sport CD Walkman from about 6 years ago :D
They look kinda like this: http://www.amazon.com/SONY-SPORT-OVER-EAR-EARBUDS/dp/B001J2IFZU

I have no headphone advice since I have magical ears that hold the little buds just fine but are pained by every other variety. :(

I've been doing some running but have been doing other stuff lately, too. I do some of the cycling classes at Mizzou's rec center, and last night I tried a new one! I did their tabata class, which is 30 minutes straight of intense exercise for 20 seconds, rest for 10, repeat. Sounds like it'd be easy since you get that rest... but it was really hard! I liked it, but felt like I got a butt kickin'.

I wish I lived in a better area for running, but ooohhh weelll. Long days at school justify stopping at the gym on the way home.

I have this problem with earbuds all the time. I ended up going back to the over-the-ear bud style where you've got two seperate buds with plastic ear-shaped swooshes that fit over the ears to keep them in place. I know Sony makes them for under $15-20 and they are often marketed as "sport" style but I stole mine from my brother's sport CD Walkman from about 6 years ago :D
They look kinda like this: http://www.amazon.com/SONY-SPORT-OVER-EAR-EARBUDS/dp/B001J2IFZU

I have no headphone advice since I have magical ears that hold the little buds just fine but are pained by every other variety. :(

I've been doing some running but have been doing other stuff lately, too. I do some of the cycling classes at Mizzou's rec center, and last night I tried a new one! I did their tabata class, which is 30 minutes straight of intense exercise for 20 seconds, rest for 10, repeat. Sounds like it'd be easy since you get that rest... but it was really hard! I liked it, but felt like I got a butt kickin'.

I wish I lived in a better area for running, but ooohhh weelll. Long days at school justify stopping at the gym on the way home.

Thanks for the advice fromthebox! I did consider over the ear types; but I'm a sound snob... I need a wide decibel range so that I can hear the low bass without reverberation. I'm certain that they have to have a 'good' pair of over the ears with those specs, so I'm going to just keep looking!! Thanks! :)

And breenie, that class sounds like a bear!! I've done circuit training in the past - it'll work ya! Good for you!

Tabata is soo hard, it's like HIIT on crack! I've been alternating my 5k with one mile swims since the weather is so warm in SB this time of year. I love swimming but I really miss my music. I wish I could borrow one of the underwater speakers we had in HS for synchronized swimming, those were awesome. Then again, I'd be subjecting the entire lap swim to my playlist...

No advice for headphones. I don't listen to music, or else I try to run in step with it and it just turns out horribly. Plus my fiance and I go together so we occasionally talk, when I'm not huffing and puffing too much.

Today was a good workout. Did some interval training, but only actually jogged/ran for 20 minutes... I reached the point that's 14-15 minutes into my normal workout in only 12 minutes so I'm pretty happy with that!

So this week struck and I found myself not jogging. I finally worked out again today, although it was a shorter run than normal because 5:30 am is dangerous on a tree-covered gravel trail. How's everyone else doing?

So this week struck and I found myself not jogging. I finally worked out again today, although it was a shorter run than normal because 5:30 am is dangerous on a tree-covered gravel trail. How's everyone else doing?

Great job hopping right back on the bandwagon! That can be tough.

I've been doing really well with my running! I've been keeping up with a schedule of M, W, R, S runs of 3, 4, 3, and 5 miles, respectively. On my 3 mile days I also usually spend 1/2 hour on the elliptical machine on the "weight loss" setting. I only tell myself I "have" to do my runs, and if I want to do extra I can and if I feel like packing it in and going home I can do that too. So sometimes I'll do a mile or two on the stationary bike, sometimes I'll do a little strength training, and sometimes I'll get out of the gym as fast as I can :p

Today is a football Saturday here in Columbus and the gym is right next to the 'Shoe, so I'll literally be going at like 10pm to run because it's a flipping zoo on campus until everyone has left from the stadium.

But all in all I'm really happy with the routine I've settled into. It's not been hard to keep up with in vet school, and 15 miles a week is enough to let me eat pretty much whatever I want while still maintaining the weight loss I did earlier this year, which is a great feeling. I feel like I've really slipped into a healthy, sustainable lifestyle that isn't difficult and allows me to treat myself while still feeling good about my body.

I started running/jogging in early July and have been running between 30-40 minutes 5 days a week. I wasn't able to this week because of an exam and prepping for a livestock show. I got kicked in the knee by a cow yesterday and I hope that I will be able to run fine tomorrow. But, yeah, it's an awesome stress reliever!

To all who are managing to keep it up - :bow:

psilovethomas - Hope your knee is feeling better. There's a very good reason for me to avoid cows!! ;)

As for me, I finally joined the gym at work - figure I can't be jogging in the dark - and made my first trip there today (GREAT excuse to leave on time!!). Amongst the crazy medical students, I did some elliptical for the first time in I can't remember (and now I know why - ouch!) and then discovered that all my little trips to the great outdoors have actually been doing me some good. Turns out (according to the treadmill) that I'm doing a 13 minute mile even though I'm not jogging for the whole 13 minutes. I was pretty darn impressed and figured out that I've probably been going about 3 miles each time I've gone out in the past couple of weeks. I've NEVER gone 3 miles in my life! It's totally mind boggling and I'm chalking it up to two things: My friends at the running store and these new pants I got. They're a miracle - I don't need a knee brace!! :D Yes, they cost a small fortune, but they're worth their weight in GOLD!!!

http://shop.lululemon.com/shop/prod...crops&cc=0001&skuId=3418936&catId=women-crops

After my Tarzan's Cup obstacle race I stopped running completely (literally that was the last time I ran until this past weekend). The only thing that seems to motivate me are super cool running events and I may have found another one. My boyfriend is dying to do it but I'm a little nervous about it! It's a 5K zombie infested obstacle course. Apparently there are zombies that chase you and try to take away the flags on your belt. I'm not a fast runner in the slightest so I'm afraid I'll just fail right away. And I may get really freaked out by zombies chasing me! The closest location is 6 hours away in Atlanta so that's also a pain in the butt. I will also have to see my exam schedule once the spring semester courses are up.

Has anyone participated in this event or one like it before? I'm curious as to how terrifying being chased by zombies really is!

Here's the link to the event if anyone's interested: http://runforyourlives.com/
There are more locations than just Atlanta

Here's the link to the event if anyone's interested: http://runforyourlives.com/

There are more locations than just Atlanta

That looks too damn cool! :cool: I'm far from a fast runner; but the very thought of 'zombie transformation' got me hook line and sinker! And you get beer at the end? Now, THIS is my kind of running event!! Sadly, the deadline for the one closest to me (Baltimore) past on Saturday. Bummer. Chinola, if you go, let us know how it was!

Totally forgot to post my BIG news in the running department due to the emotionally charged week of baseball. I thank my lucky stars the Brew Crew held on but am totally bummed that the Phils didn't make it... I had NLCS tix!!! But I digress...

This past Thursday the Earth stood still...

I jogged/walked 5K in ~40 minutes. The last 1/2 mile took forever because I was going at 5mph for a while and used the distance as a cool down afraid that I might have a coronary. But now that I know I'm capable of doing 5K without collapsing, I'm considering giving it a full go on Tuesday when I'll allow myself to jog again.

I've been jogging three days a week (Tues, Thurs and Sat - which a trail jog/hike if I'm not working); and, to save my knee, I've been doing the elliptical and weights on Mon and Wed. I cannot thank you guys enough for advice and the inspiration to get my sorry ass back into shape. I haven't this good in a long LONG time and I really have SDN to thank for it.

You guys are the best!!! :biglove:

Totally forgot to post my BIG news in the running department due to the emotionally charged week of baseball. I thank my lucky stars the Brew Crew held on but am totally bummed that the Phils didn't make it... I had NLCS tix!!! But I digress...

This past Thursday the Earth stood still...

I jogged/walked 5K in ~40 minutes. The last 1/2 mile took forever because I was going at 5mph for a while and used the distance as a cool down afraid that I might have a coronary. But now that I know I'm capable of doing 5K without collapsing, I'm considering giving it a full go on Tuesday when I'll allow myself to jog again.

I've been jogging three days a week (Tues, Thurs and Sat - which a trail jog/hike if I'm not working); and, to save my knee, I've been doing the elliptical and weights on Mon and Wed. I cannot thank you guys enough for advice and the inspiration to get my sorry ass back into shape. I haven't this good in a long LONG time and I really have SDN to thank for it.

You guys are the best!!! :biglove:

Woooo LMMS!! That is so incredibly awesome! I knew you could do it :thumbup:

I actually feel like a total failure today because for the first time in months I missed my Saturday 5-miler. I feel a little knocked out because of my tetanus shot yesterday and I'm just lazy and blahhhhh.

Which reminds me that I need to get my eating under control...heh...I've put on a pound or two in the last couple weeks and I'm not happy about it at all. I know that anxiety can manifest itself in overeating for me, and the GF and I have been eating out quite a bit because I don't have a ton of time to cook and when I do I'm too tired or want something "fun" so we go out.

I spent this last week catching up on sleep, which put me a little behind in the studying department. My motivation in general seems to be waning a little and I need to light a fire under it! To make up for my lack of run today I'm going to race a 5K that I wasn't planning on doing tomorrow. After that I'm planning on increasing my mileage a little bit-I've been running 15 miles a week for a couple months now and I think my body is a little overly acclimated to it. I'm going to maybe try and add a mile onto my twice weekly 3-mile runs and see how that goes.

The 5K today went AWESOME!! I thought I might have lost some fitness since I've been running mostly on a treadmill lately, which means flat and climate-controlled. I was worried I wouldn't even make a sub-30-minute 5K and I finished in...wait for it....27:05!!! That's more than a minute and a half faster than my last 5K time in July! I don't know what the "official" time was or where I finished yet, but that was the last time I saw on the clock before I ducked under the finish line so I'm going with that for now =) With that time I ran an average of 8:43/mile which is pretty much unheard of for me. Plus the course was pretty hilly and had a couple of about-face type turns that slowed the pace a little.

So...yes, I'm very excited and proud of myself for that! It was fun, I feel accomplished, and I do believe I'm going to go take a nap =)

The 5K today went AWESOME!! I thought I might have lost some fitness since I've been running mostly on a treadmill lately, which means flat and climate-controlled. I was worried I wouldn't even make a sub-30-minute 5K and I finished in...wait for it....27:05!!! That's more than a minute and a half faster than my last 5K time in July! I don't know what the "official" time was or where I finished yet, but that was the last time I saw on the clock before I ducked under the finish line so I'm going with that for now =) With that time I ran an average of 8:43/mile which is pretty much unheard of for me. Plus the course was pretty hilly and had a couple of about-face type turns that slowed the pace a little.

So...yes, I'm very excited and proud of myself for that! It was fun, I feel accomplished, and I do believe I'm going to go take a nap =)

Whoo!! Great job, EllieGirl!! :thumbup:

So I just completed a 5K on Sunday and cut my time down by 10 minutes (from 45 min to 35). I was really, really happy considering that I've improved after 5 months of training!

I told one of my friends today during Orgo and all he could say was, "Wow, that's really slow." I didn't know if I was more mortified or angry.

OMG :diebanana:

For EllieGirl and Graduately - :clap::clap::clap:Way to go guys on your 5ks!!! That is excellent!!! Cutting 10 min off your time Grad is amazing, so don't let anyone get you down!

As for me, well:oops: I have been bad, as in not doing ANYTHING bad. But recently I joined the school's field hockey club team and the school's gym. Plus my roomie (a fellow SDNer) is great about motivating me to go, so I am back on the wagon!!!:D Amazing how just a few months off can really set you back. I am thinking about doing a 10k in the spring:scared:, but we'll see. Baby steps right now - need to be able to run 5k without having a coronary!

Thanks Packen!!!

Also FYI - just in case anyone is out in Long Island, NY and want to join me for another 5K on 11/13, please let me know! I'm hoping to cut down another 5 min :xf:

MY WHOLE BODY HURTS.

Did more Tabata on Wed. Sooo difficult. It's only offered 2 nights a week, back to back... my goal is to be good enough at it that I could do it twice.

Right now, I am very very far from that.

As for running, going to try to do a 5k sponsored by the vet school later this month! I've been bad about running since I've had my horse here and got distracted with fun classes at the gym, but I did like 2.5 mi comfortably the other day, so I figure it shouldn't be hard to do the 5k! Might run a little more before then, though, just to make sure!

Scb44fffff are you gonna do the 5k?

Scb44fffff are you gonna do the 5k?

Breenieeee I don't know. I haven't registered yet, and I'm really out of shape because of that time off, but I'm working on it and may push for it. I'll decide soon!

Breenieeee I don't know. I haven't registered yet, and I'm really out of shape because of that time off, but I'm working on it and may push for it. I'll decide soon!

I haven't registered either :( Still time to decide!

Also FYI - just in case anyone is out in Long Island, NY and want to join me for another 5K on 11/13, please let me know! I'm hoping to cut down another 5 min :xf:

oh man, that is my old neck of the woods! Would love to, but will be here Scotland :( Roomie is trying to get me to do a local 5k next week - not sure if I am ready for that yet though - SOOOOOO out of shape :oops:

Nike Women's Half Marathon - DONE.

Finished in 3 hours and 20 minutes... I'm happy with the finish time since I only had base miles worked up to 7. School really doesn't mesh well with training for longer distance runs. Sticking to 5k and 10k races from now!

Whoo!! Go Heylodeb!!

The SO and I went for a 20-minute jog this afternoon. Going for another tomorrow, it sounds like.

Way to go - ALL!! Especially deb - woman, you rule!!!

My news??? I just nailed 5K in under 37 minutes! Took a jaunt on the treadmill after work... Don't know how on Earth I managed, nor if I'll be able to walk in the upright position come morning; but right now I am thrilled beyond belief! Especially since I did so lousy on Thursday that I had to cut it at 2.5 miles.

I have been running, albeit infrequently (didn't do it at all for about two months, started again about a week ago). I've been more or less relegated to the treadmills at the school though. There isn't much of anything around here for running outdoors. The school has a track, but I find that painfully boring. Sidewalks are sketchy, and there's lots of very long traffic lights where I live.

But treadmill is better than nothing! I do try to crank up the incline, so at least it's something.

Heylodeb - You rock. So much. :love:

Well... my boyfriend convinced me to do the 5k this weekend. Yesterday I ran 2.8 in 30 minutes, so... I guess I won't completely humiliate myself?

Wish I was going faster, but it'll do for not running regularly, I guess!

Grumble grumble.

Well... my boyfriend convinced me to do the 5k this weekend. Yesterday I ran 2.8 in 30 minutes, so... I guess I won't completely humiliate myself?

Wish I was going faster, but it'll do for not running regularly, I guess!

Grumble grumble.

That's me on a really good day that I haven't even experienced yet! :thumbup: You will be awesome in the 5k.

I have decided not to try the 5k. I was so used to running on an empty stomach so trying to run now when it's daylight and not when it's actually convenient is being a pain in the butt when it comes to how my body feels. My legs are fine, my breathing could be better, but when my stomach is just sloshing around, it's no bueno. I need to find a better system...

That's me on a really good day that I haven't even experienced yet! :thumbup: You will be awesome in the 5k.

I have decided not to try the 5k. I was so used to running on an empty stomach so trying to run now when it's daylight and not when it's actually convenient is being a pain in the butt when it comes to how my body feels. My legs are fine, my breathing could be better, but when my stomach is just sloshing around, it's no bueno. I need to find a better system...

Oooh girl, I feel you. I cannot run with food in my tummy. :( It's automatic side cramp and nausea. I used to be able to do it, for whatever reason? I'm not sure what has changed.

Heylodeb, you're AMAZING! I couldn't hack it so I definitely give you all the kudos in the world!

I've been doing alright. I keep on running 4 days a week, at least. I've been trying to up it lately (and watch my food intake) because it's starting to be harder to maintain my weight, I'm guessing from all the stress of vet school. I'm really working on not eating crap and cutting down on the snacking.

Anyway, there's a girl in my class that I've become really good friends with and we've been working out together some which is really good for me. When I'm by myself I kind of have no way to guage how far I should be pushing. But when I'm with someone else I might look over and see that she's using 12.5 lb dumbells while I have 10 lb and I think to myself "I can use 12.5 lb ones too!" And then I do. So it's helping me to up the ante a little bit!

Ellie, I definitely love the competition aspect of working out, even though it's for your individual gain.

We went running today, but this time at 6 pm right before dinner. It was fantastic! My stomach didn't slosh, the sun was going down (so the trail looked beautiful with all the orange leaves surrounding us!), and it's actually cool outside. I ended up only going 20 minutes, but I felt like I could have done much more than that. So good!

Also, I have been really good lately about what I eat. I am choosing more fruits/veggies than ever before, and while I still eat some junk foods, they're much more in moderation. I find that I am still within my ideal range of calories even when I'm not specifically trying to be.