Couch to 5K

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my training goal for the next two years:

http://www.youmaydie.com/

----

So, what's the plan for the group?

Cash, prizes, public humiliation, hazing?

"they're just basically a lunatic" :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

So I didn't run the 5k on Saturday because I wanted to sleep in. We have a really crazy test week coming up so I wanted to relax a little before I chewed my fingernails off.

Worked out today though, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Hello all! I just wanted to introduce myself on this thread. I started running about a year ago and I ran my second half marathon yesterday. I ran pretty slow but I finished it! Took me 2 hrs 33 mins which was a PR for me. I love reading about people reaching their goals and getting fit. I find it really encouraging. And most days I need a lot of encouragement, like today. I'm trying to convince myself to exercise tomorrow morning before work. I need to burn off all the candy I ate today. I bought more halloween candy then I needed for the trick-or-treaters and I ended up eating half of it tonight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all! I am starting couch to 10k today!! I used to run, but it's been several months so I'm taking it slow :D

SDNers - Thank you SO much for all of the advice, motivation, and support on this thread! I've been keeping it up the best I can and have gotten to a 4 mile run/walk in under 50 minutes. This is something I never ever thought I would be able to do. I'm down to an initial mile of ~11 min ; and for the first time in my life can run @ 5+ mph for more than a mile without stopping to walk. My orthopedist is going to have a stroke; but I'm actually enjoying it! It's a feeling I can't describe; and I have you guys to thank.

Add to this that, thanks to this group, I've started yoga & cross training. I'm more focused on nutrition, am getting stronger and am close to the best shape I've ever been in... 25 pounds down and I'm guessing inches galore. I went shopping for new jeans and ended up in an 8. A single digit! Granted, they're probably cutting them bigger, but it still feels good.

So, thanks guys! You're awesome; and I owe you one for helping me get my sorry old butt into shape. :biglove::biglove:

That is so amazing, LMMS!! Way to go!

WOO LMMS, way to go!! You're so awesome!

I on the other hand-bleh! These past few weeks of vet school have been absolutely nuts, and I haven't had time to work out very much and have been really lazy with my eating habits. Mostly just eating a lot and stuff that's not so good for me to try and comfort myself!

Therefore....today I bought myself a new Weight Watchers membership. I've only put back on like 5 lbs but I really want to nip it in the bud-I'll be darned if I go back to where I was last February! So I have another 3-month long date with WW. But that's okay, the control freak in me actually really enjoys food tracking and stuff. Plus, few things put me in a better mood than dropping a few pounds! ;)

Aw, thanks guys. Really, I owe a great deal to all of you here. So, once again, thanks! Let's hope I can keep it up... I finally got a day off today, so I was able to go outside. According to my ipod, I went 4.3 miles today. I :love: Nike+... I can set goals; and today when I downloaded my runs from this past week I found out that I've clocked a little over 34 miles this month complete with a congratulations video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwGt7KVW3Rg Next up, blue! But I need to clock something like 250 miles before then. Gives me something to work for.

And, EllieG - I wouldn't worry too much. You're BUSY! I'm sure you'll be back on track in no time. WW never worked for me; but I know lots of people who had great success - you included! My eating habits have fallen so far off the wagon in the past couple of weeks that they couldn't catch up if they had a jet to carry them. I think the only reason I'm maintaining is because I've been able to find the time to work out. My nutrition course is suffering though, so I need to get my priorities straightened out - in a hurry! You should be very proud of yourself for being able to keep it allin check!! :thumbup: You rock!!!!:horns:

Hey Couchers, weigh in on this for me!

I've been working out a fair bit-- but I haven't run much in weeks and I've been doing mostly strength/less cardio based stuff. I've seen some nice changes in my body, which I'm pretty pumped about. I miss running and feel like I should be doing more of it, though.

So today I went and jogged out two miles, but I was kinda slow. Slower than I was earlier this semester, which I expected since it's been awhile. I don't have a lot of time with vet school to do long long runs all the time, so I was thinking maybe I'd work on going faster?

Do you think if I started the 5k over, and did it with a faster mile time (since I can run 5k at a slow one already), that might be a reasonable way build up speed without hating myself? I've honestly never pushed for speed with my running before since I always disliked it and couldn't do much distance. Figured since I'm already familiar with the plan it might be a comfortable way to do it.

Anyway, just a thought. :)

Hey breenie, I've never been much of a runner; and don't think, even with everything I'm doing, I'm ever going to be. But, if you're already able to run a 5k at a slow rate then, yeah, why not try to give the C25K a go at a faster rate if possible? As long as you feel 'good' when you're doing it, it can't be a bad idea considering the program weans you into distance. However, if it wears you out, then you should slow down a touch. I think as long as you're working on your strength and cardio fitness you'll get quicker no matter what... I've been doing the eliptical or bike on my days 'off' or when my knee screams 'Oh hell NO!' and found that I'm getting faster just with that.

:luck::luck: Best of luck!!!

Hey Couchers, weigh in on this for me!

I've been working out a fair bit-- but I haven't run much in weeks and I've been doing mostly strength/less cardio based stuff. I've seen some nice changes in my body, which I'm pretty pumped about. I miss running and feel like I should be doing more of it, though.

So today I went and jogged out two miles, but I was kinda slow. Slower than I was earlier this semester, which I expected since it's been awhile. I don't have a lot of time with vet school to do long long runs all the time, so I was thinking maybe I'd work on going faster?

Do you think if I started the 5k over, and did it with a faster mile time (since I can run 5k at a slow one already), that might be a reasonable way build up speed without hating myself? I've honestly never pushed for speed with my running before since I always disliked it and couldn't do much distance. Figured since I'm already familiar with the plan it might be a comfortable way to do it.

Anyway, just a thought. :)

Hi Breenie! This is absolutely true! I've been an avid runner for the last 7 years (it's a total love/hate relationship, HATE it while I'm doing it, LOVE it afterward). I remember in high school my coach would always tell us the best way to improve our times were shorter distances faster. It causes less damage to your body and strengthens muscles just as much. 5k's are a great distance. Not too long not too short. They're a great way to strengthen your muscles and increase your times without wearing yourself out too much, mentally or physically. Plus, for most people, a "healthy" work out routine is at least 30 minutes of cardio around 3 times a week (adding in strength training is always good). I think if you can run a 5k in 30mins of less you're doing GREAT. That's a great time. If you're not there yet and want to work on speed, maybe work toward that being a goal. Intervals are always good for increasing speed too. Start out with your first .5 miles slow, then pick up the pace and run fast for your next .5, then slow .5, then fast again. It's a great way to work on speed and endurance without hurting yourself.

Sorry for rambling, and goodluck!

I started back on WW, and last week after doing everything right, I gained 1/2 a pound. Ugh. I know that's an amount that can fluctuate over the course of a day, but it's still disappointing. This week, finals week, I've already completely blown my diet, but I'm letting it go because anything that will keep me happy this week, including food, needs to be embraced. I am still keeping track of all the crap I'm eating though, to keep myself accountable.

Reviving this old thread and posting here rather than on the fitness thread, because THIS is the group that got me to where I am today and felt it only right to post this news here.

I Ran my first 'real' 5K yesterday. My goals were to run a sub 12 minute mile, not get trampled at the start, and not come in last. All goals accomplished!! According to the timekeepers I finished in 36:06 (11:48 mile). Although I would have liked to have finished in under 35 minutes I'm really quite OK with this as it was my first real race. Those starts are interesting to say the least. As an individual who always jogs alone in non crowded areas, it was really intimidating for me. But, I made it through and now have to look towards the next two goals: a 10K next month and a 10 miler in May. I'm currently able to pound out a little over 7 miles in about 1.5 hours so I think I'm in good shape to make it.

I want to thank everyone here at SDN on the C25K thread for getting me to get off my butt last year. Without this, I probably would have NEVER taken off the way I did with things. You guys gave me all the advice and support I could have ever hoped for and cannot thank you enough. This has been GREAT for me! My migraines are in check, I'm 25 pounds lighter than I was this time last year, and I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in my life! You guys are the best!! :love:

Reviving this old thread and posting here rather than on the fitness thread, because THIS is the group that got me to where I am today and felt it only right to post this news here.

I Ran my first 'real' 5K yesterday. My goals were to run a sub 12 minute mile, not get trampled at the start, and not come in last. All goals accomplished!! According to the timekeepers I finished in 36:06 (11:48 mile). Although I would have liked to have finished in under 35 minutes I'm really quite OK with this as it was my first real race. Those starts are interesting to say the least. As an individual who always jogs alone in non crowded areas, it was really intimidating for me. But, I made it through and now have to look towards the next two goals: a 10K next month and a 10 miler in May. I'm currently able to pound out a little over 7 miles in about 1.5 hours so I think I'm in good shape to make it.

I want to thank everyone here at SDN on the C25K thread for getting me to get off my butt last year. Without this, I probably would have NEVER taken off the way I did with things. You guys gave me all the advice and support I could have ever hoped for and cannot thank you enough. This has been GREAT for me! My migraines are in check, I'm 25 pounds lighter than I was this time last year, and I'm probably in the best shape I've ever been in my life! You guys are the best!! :love:
Awesome update LMMS!

I Ran my first 'real' 5K yesterday. My goals were to run a sub 12 minute mile, not get trampled at the start, and not come in last. All goals accomplished!!

Congratulations, LMMS! I've been trying to do the C25K program this year, but things have been a bit slow. I have the "couch" part mastered :) Just need to become a bit more regular with the other parts. Your story is truly an inspiration to get going again. Good luck with the next challenge!

Love this thread!! I didn't know it existed!! I have lost 122 lbs, ran my first 5k last September and ran my first 10k Turkey Trot last Thanksgiving!! If I can do it ANYONE can do it!!! Great job everyone!! My next goal is a half marathon, 13.2 miles here I come!!!

Awesome update LMMS!

Congratulations, LMMS! I've been trying to do the C25K program this year, but things have been a bit slow. I have the "couch" part mastered :) Just need to become a bit more regular with the other parts. Your story is truly an inspiration to get going again. Good luck with the next challenge!

That is fantastic, LMMS! :)

Thanks, everyone!!! And katsmiaow, I didn't actually do the C25K program because I didn't like the structure. Instead, I just went out and did my own thing. I still do a walk/run style due to horrific knees but it's working! All you need to do is get out there and start small. The big stuff will come!

Love this thread!! I didn't know it existed!! I have lost 122 lbs, ran my first 5k last September and ran my first 10k Turkey Trot last Thanksgiving!! If I can do it ANYONE can do it!!! Great job everyone!! My next goal is a half marathon, 13.2 miles here I come!!!

I knew reviving this thread would be a good thing! Abney - WAY TO GO!! I somehow thought you were a kindred spirit on a level... I'm also a 120+ pound loser and know how hard it is... The reason I started up with this was because it was starting to creep back on and I got to a weight I swore I would never be again. Seems I've found a way to keep myself in check. Best of luck with the 1/2 marathon training! You'll have to let us know when you're signed up! :D

I knew reviving this thread would be a good thing! Abney - WAY TO GO!! I somehow thought you were a kindred spirit on a level... I'm also a 120+ pound loser and know how hard it is... The reason I started up with this was because it was starting to creep back on and I got to a weight I swore I would never be again. Seems I've found a way to keep myself in check. Best of luck with the 1/2 marathon training! You'll have to let us know when you're signed up! :D

Ugh me too LMMS!!! Once I started interviewing and all of the ensuing stress hit me (stress eater here for sure) I put on a few pounds. I do better in a group setting with a set time to work out, and I am so over 6 am bootcamp for now, so I started doing zumba 5 days a week and dropped a pretty good number last week. Soooo here's to getting this girl back on track!!!! Good job on your weight loss!!!! :highfive: It's hard work and it sucks sometimes but it is totally worth it!!!

Soooo, in proper netiquette (forumiquette?) I thought I would give this a bump, since I'm starting some c25k training as of today! The Run, Zombies, Run! 5k app came out on Android yesterday and is on sale for $2 (50% off!) so if anyone would be interested in joining me in getting more fit while running from zombies, I'd love some someone to commiserate with. :)