k00l

2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2016
Status
Pharmacy Student
So I stumbled on Guaifenesin DM 100/10 labels that said the direction for kids under 12: (10 ml every 4 hours prn). Normally, it's supposed to be 5ml q4h prn. Would you change the direction and contact doctor? And is there a weight-based dose cough syrup (guaifenesin DM) for children? Many thanks.

trailerpark

5+ Year Member
May 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
Doesn't water and honey work just as well?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
So I stumbled on Guaifenesin DM 100/10 labels that said the direction for kids under 12: (10 ml every 4 hours prn). Normally, it's supposed to be 5ml q4h prn. Would you change the direction and contact doctor? And is there a weight-based dose cough syrup (guaifenesin DM) for children? Many thanks.
So I stumbled on forum post that make no sense. Normally readers suppose to know what post is about. Would you correct and contact webmaster?

OP
K

k00l

2+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2016
Status
Pharmacy Student
if it's not making any sense to you, just skip bro.
And for this syrup, I'm hoping to convince docs not to prescribe it to younger children any more.

Lnsean

10+ Year Member
May 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
if it's not making any sense to you, just skip bro.
And for this syrup, I'm hoping to convince docs not to prescribe it to younger children any more.
LMAO

zelman

7+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
.... I'm hoping to convince docs not to prescribe it to younger children any more.
Is this because you keep stumbling and you're afraid you're going to trip and fall? Why are these labels in your walkways?

Reactions: BidingMyTime

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Proven might be a stretch, unless there is something newer than the 2007 Penn State study...funded by the honey board ;)

http://www.dcscience.net/2007/12/05/why-honey-isnt-a-wonder-cure/

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Looking at
Paul IM, Beiler J, McMonagle A, et al. Effect of honey, dextromethorphan, and no treatment on nocturnal cough and sleep quality for coughing children and their parents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2007;161:1140-6.

Cited in the Pharmacist Letter. More effective than DM, which does not work at all. Maybe proven was a stretch, But I'll stick with honey as it less expensive, works better and is safer unless you are treating an infant or a diabetic.

Reactions: msweph and catalyzt