*cough, sniffle, sneeze*... why didn't I get a flu vaccine!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlexygoat

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm kicking myself now.... my school even gave them out FREE a few weeks ago. Instead, I went to Subway. Damn.

Never had the flu before until this weekend. Was feeling fine one minute, then 3 hours later - BAM! Zero energy, lots of congestion, and I want to curl into a ball. Now I know why people despise flu season so much.

I just took some Nyquil Nite Time and it's giving me some weird side effects I think. I've got this nasty ringing in my ears. ugh. Will this ever end!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

couldnt afford the 35 bucks they were charging....

highway robbery i say! :D

the flu shot is bogus! i got one for 10 bucks from my school, and i still got the flu. ok, it lasted less, but still..

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my Flu Shot a while ago. I'm sick now with a cold and terrible vertigo from it. Only one more final to go!!! Yeah Hebrew!

I decided to put off the inevitable "healthcare-provider flu shot" for one last year....and so far so good!! I even work in a homeless shelter...and I haven't gotten the flu!!! No flu shot, and no flu!!! WOW! Plus, my roommates had the flu and I still didn't get it.

I am very very pleased with my immune system right now. "Good, T and B-cells! Good girls!!" :clap: :clap: :clap:

I know several people who have had serious complications from the flu vaccine, so I for one do not plan on ever getting a flu shot unless required to by the hospital I'm working for one day. Yes, I know the flu itself can result in serious complications, but I'd prefer that over the vaccine's potential side effects.

i know how you feel lexy

i thought i would never get better; but i got the flu on thanksgiving
and am just recovering from it now
i'd say i'm 95 percent

it sucked big time though; hacking cough, fever, dizziness from all the meds

i thought it would never end; but it will pass

There are no "serious" side-effects from Flu-Vaccine. Either you are stupid or the people telling you are lying...or both.

There are no "serious" side-effects from Flu-Vaccine. Either you are stupid or the people telling you are lying...or both.

actually, if you're allergic to eggs, which is what they're made from, then yea, you can have a pretty serious effect from it. anaphalaptic (sp?) shock anyone?

Just got back from the health clinic this morning only to find out I have bronchitis. Never had it before - it's AWFUL. I have this tightness in my chest... sort of feels like a brick was dropped on me. Ugh.

Must have more chicken noodle soup.

Yeah I got the flu last week too. First time I've had a fever in like 12 years. I started having a little cough and a bit of a sore throat on Thursday, but it all came crashing down Friday. Today, I just have congestion and a slight cough left. My ears are also stuffy. Almost passed, it seems.

I would much rather get the Flu shot and suffer mild symptoms than get the flu and suffer complications from my Lupus. And contrary to the Myth the Flu Vaccine cannot give you the Flu! However... this new nasal spray is a live vaccine so I'm not too sure about that one.

regarding the inhaled vaccine (FluMist): as it is a live vaccine, you shed the virus from your nose up to two weeks after the dose. Hence you should not (and many clinical settings will forbid you, or good reason) be around immunocompromised, very young, and very old patients for 2 weeks after taking it. Just a caveat for those of you work in clinical settings with patients...

umm...speaking of those cold/flu medicine cocktails, why do they put expectorants and cough suppresants in the same formula? don't those two things work against each other?

Meh, I just stick to my tylenol, sudafed, and gatorade. Well, actually since I got my flu shot two weeks ago I'll hopefully skip the flu for once...but I had heard that there were two flu strains out this year, and my mom told me that this was discovered at St. Luke's hospital...where I'm working right now...

::starts spraying everything with lysol in a wild panic::