1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Could I become a pharmacist?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by AlbinoNFkorida, Sep 17, 2018.

1. AlbinoNFkorida

My name is Courtney,and I’m albino I was born legally blind my vision is 20/200 and can’t be corrected, while I can see very clear I have to look close at everything. But I’d love to be a pharmacist but I’ve been putting it off because of vision and I just really like some advice

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TerryTerry

Being a pharmacist involves looking at computer monitors and poorly written prescriptions for 90% of the work. It may not be impossible but it may also be quite challenging if you have to take time and look everything up close.

4. AlbinoNFkorida

So prescriptions are still written on paper ? My PCP sends my meds in thorough her laptop

5. JamesPharmD

Yes, there are some old school doctors still love to write everything down instead using electronic/computer. Are you a pharmacist now or plan to become a pharmacist? If you are plan to become a pharmacist, not sure if the school requires you to provide your medical condition and how that would affect you getting into the pharmacy program

6. AlbinoNFkorida

I plan to become one it’s just always been a passion of mine I just feel like my vision will stop it

7. Saisri_PharmStdnt

Saisri_PharmStdnt Class of 2023

Pharmacy Student
    Have you considered trying to work as a Tech to see if it would be possible for you?

8. giga

Pharmacist U.S. Public Health Service 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Boards of pharmacy typically have a rule that makes you ineligible for a license if you have any medical conditions that prevent you from practicing in a safe manner. I would recommend reaching out to your state board of pharmacy and asking them if your condition would prevent you from getting licensed. Although even if you are able to get licensed, your employment options may be limited, depending on whether your visual impairment can be reasonably accomodated.

BlackDiamond277 likes this.