Could I get accused of academic misconduct for this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narla_hotep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really? no replies in 15 minutes? I expected better of you, SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
But like actually, do you think signing in attendance to a required class for someone else counts as misconduct? I'm afraid someone saw it

Why did you edit out your original post if you actually wanted an answer?

And yes, people have absolutely gotten IA's for that. People have gotten F's in classes for that.

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Because I didn't want it just hanging around the internet... Thanks for quoting, btw :rolleyes:

Whatever you write on the internet is there forever, even if you remove it. Search engines cache sites. Don't write anything you don't want hanging around.

TOS #15, friend.

Reactions: 6 users

Last edited:
Yes it counts as misconduct. I'd guess no more than a slap on the wrist but they could most certainly make the transgression known to residency programs if they felt the need ('dean's letter' or the like)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah yeah, I know. But I was just getting into an anxiety loop about this and was hoping to get some input. I feel like an absolute idiot for doing something like this. What do you think is the worst the school could do?

Depends on how big of a horse's ass the dean of professionalism and ethics wants to be. This is academic dishonesty and punishment could range from verbal warning or written warning or maybe some type of letter or statement in your academic history that you can't get rid of.

Are you pre-med or med student?

If pre-med - get an F in the class, get an IA (both you and the person you signed in)
If med school - could go on your MSPE as a professionalism ding that goes to residencies. The person you signed in for would also get in trouble.

You probably shouldn't do this type of thing in the future for 2 reasons: 1) You could potentially get in big trouble, like said above just depends on your school administrators, and 2) you clearly have too much anxiety to be a rule breaker. Just stay in line.

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah yeah, I know. But I was just getting into an anxiety loop about this and was hoping to get some input. I feel like an absolute idiot for doing something like this. What do you think is the worst the school could do?

If they had a real honor code they would throw you out for lying and cheating.

--
Il Destriero

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, you really just prove that giving people second chances isn't reasonable. Because if they did it once, they will do it again and again unless they get caught. Yes, you should know better by now. If you don't get caught, I hope you think about this one day and use it to prevent bending the rules in the future.

Med student, aka should know better. In undergrad a lot of us did this type of thing and it wasn't a big deal, but now they keep talking to us about professionalism...

Welp, guess we'll see if anyone noticed. I wonder how long these things usually take to process and when I can relax about it? Not gonna give into peer pressure next time, just hopefully it's not too late already.

@mistafab So you mean to say you've never bent the rules in your life, ever? It's easy to preach no mercy until you find yourself on the receiving end of having your life messed up from a one second decision. And yes, I know that's the same arguments rapists and such use to defend themselves... But we can all agree the scope of the crime is a little bit different.

There was no bending involved here whatsoever... you just straight up broke the rule.

Hopefully nothing comes of this and it's a learning experience for you. Never never never never let the "justice" system get its hooks in you (whether in school or in the real world). Even if you think something is a stupid law or "not a big deal"... don't let them get a hold of you.

@Donald Juan that's the truest thing anyone's said about me :laugh: about the anxiety, I mean.

@mistafab So you mean to say you've never bent the rules in your life, ever? It's easy to preach no mercy until you find yourself on the receiving end of having your life messed up from a one second decision. And yes, I know that's the same arguments rapists and such use to defend themselves... But we can all agree the scope of the crime is a little bit different.

... All of this is not to say that I'll continue doing things like this in the future. If anyone else asks, I'll just admit it makes me nervous

I think you'll find as you continue in your career that you can get into quite a bit of trouble over a "one second decision."

Ah mandatory classes, where the administration feels that the best course of action to get people to attend is through fear rather than giving something of value so students willingly come. I have never attended a great lecture where a sign in sheet and the threat of professionalism marks was needed to compel attendance. Next time just tell your buddy to bring his laptop and headphones and to use the time to watch pathoma. As ****y as the situation is, it isnt going to change any time soon.

Reactions: 2 users
But like actually, do you think signing in attendance to a required class for someone else counts as misconduct? I'm afraid someone saw it
a number of schools can/will boot you for this. Go or don’t go but don’t lie about it

Oh yeah I wouldn't have done it if it was a matter of them just not feeling like going. Only reason I signed them in to begin with is b/c they suddenly got sick that day and I owed them a favor.
Tell your friend to wait for a favor that doesn’t risk a multimillion dollar career

What do you think is the worst the school could do?

One of the more common punishments is making you volunteer as an SP for the MS1s learning the DRE. At least that's what my school told me.