Could I still use AMCAS to send additional letters of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tritown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is January, and I have had two additional LORs written for me that should be pretty good. Considering the time of the cycle, would I be able to send these other letters to the schools through AMCAS, or would it be better just to send them from the letters service that I use? I'm not sure how AMCAS works for LORs at this juncture.

Thanks for the help. I hope this makes sense. I have read related threads and haven't quite gotten my answer yet.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have already applied, I suggest you send them through service you use cuz amcas might waste precious time processing it.

I think this depends on whether or not the school still downloads the letters from AMCAS (i.e., my understanding is that while AMCAS makes the letters available to the schools, the schools themselves actually have to electronically retrieve the letters). Since it's so late in the cycle, my guess would be that they aren't actively downloading letters and you'd probably be better sending letters to the schools directly or use a third party service like Interfolio. To be safe, though, I'd contact the schools directly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this depends on whether or not the school still downloads the letters from AMCAS (i.e., my understanding is that while AMCAS makes the letters available to the schools, the schools themselves actually have to electronically retrieve the letters). Since it's so late in the cycle, my guess would be that they aren't actively downloading letters and you'd probably be better sending letters to the schools directly or use a third party service like Interfolio. To be safe, though, I'd contact the schools directly.

I used the AMCAS service and then sent an e-mail to the schools that I wanted to be sure got the letter. They all responded that they received the letter and put it in my file without problem. There was no significant dely involved with using the AMCAS system.

I used the AMCAS service and then sent an e-mail to the schools that I wanted to be sure got the letter. They all responded that they received the letter and put it in my file without problem. There was no significant dely involved with using the AMCAS system.

Thanks for the information! Could you let me know how recently you sent those extra letters out? Was it fairly recently?

I was wondering what the most efficient process would be if one is going to use individual letters of recommendation (I have a reason for doing this). I am applying early during upcoming cycle and a professor has already agreed to write one.

Could she write it around mid-April and send it to AMCAS once the application for next cycle opens during the first week of May?

I did this a few weeks back and the result was instantaneous. It took a day for AMCAS to process and by the time I could email all the schools, they already had it in their inbox and confirmed receipt.