Could Michigan students comment....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
on the clinical experience, off campus rotations, and anything else you like or don't like about the program? also, do you get your own cubicle 3rd and 4th years? (i got two different answers when i asked students at the interview).

Members don't see this ad.

we share cubes with a 4th year during D3 year (and vice versa). I never have had problems getting a cube in clinic, some days you have to wait 10 or 15 mintues but it's not a problem. As for clinical experience, I think it's fine. I have no complaints other than the types of patients who come to the dental school but you're gonna find that no matter where you go. School's not easy, it's a ton of work, but you'll find what you like and enjoy yourself. Then again, that statement applies everywhere else I assume. If you have anything more specific, lemme know.

off campus rotations... do you like or dislike them? do you get to do enough of the more "advanced" procedures like endo and 3rd molar ext's and esthetic dentistry that you'd feel comfortable practicing them right after graduation without a gpr?
do you ever have to go out and find your own patients for different operations?
what kind of clinical work (if any) do you learn first year? cleanings, sealants, anything like that?
how much do you have to assist the D3's and -4's while you're a D1/D2?

sorry for the 3rd degree, i just got accepted to mich and am trying to decide between mich (where i'm a resident) or case (where i got a scholarship). thanks for helping.

Members don't see this ad :)
Blue Tooth said:
we share cubes with a 4th year during D3 year (and vice versa). I never have had problems getting a cube in clinic, some days you have to wait 10 or 15 mintues but it's not a problem. As for clinical experience, I think it's fine. I have no complaints other than the types of patients who come to the dental school but you're gonna find that no matter where you go. School's not easy, it's a ton of work, but you'll find what you like and enjoy yourself. Then again, that statement applies everywhere else I assume. If you have anything more specific, lemme know.

hey had to ask if you have a perio patient :D, or know anyone who does, my best friend, a 4th yr in 2Blue Clinic needs one, and is getting desperate since he's taking his NERB next Sat. Pretty pls :thumbup: He has operatives to give up too if interested.

@Biogirl not sure if I can comment, since I'm not the one there, but I feel like I've been sort of living the whole U of M dental experience since my best friend started there in 2001, plus I spent many nights studying in the cubes while he was waxing away :D
He never really had a hard time getting patients, actually had a huge #, and compared to other places, not sure how it is at case dental, but Mich starts clinic work fairly early on.
4th yr he has had to do external rotations in Muskegon, I think that was just one of the sites, I know Traverse city was another one. It was required, plus others did elective off campus rotations here and there, like some of his friends did. He spent many afternoons 3rd and 4th yr in the Oral Surgery unit,, plus they also had hospital rotations in 3rd and 4th yr, and got to see complicated cases in the ER. U of M has an exceptional Hospital, so that probably really helps.
1st yr he was able to assist with a prophy like middle-end of 1st yr, he talked one of the faculty into letting him do that, dont know if that is the norm though. As a D2, he made friends with D3s and D4s, so that when they had complicated cases, he could assist them, or they could refer some "easier" stuff to him.

He's starting an AEGD prog in July, wants to specialize but isnt sure, but thee are also many of his classmates who'll be working right after in addition to the many others specializing.
I think with everything, its all about the time you put in, I know he had to spend free afternoons( or those in which no patients are scheduled) trying to rack up on experience. He has his own cubicle as far as I know all 4th yr. Not sure if thats the norm.
Not sure if all this helped, but goodluck wherever u go to.

okay, a few quick specific questions. How much (if any) experience do you get in these areas during pre-doctoral training at UM?

-3rd molar extraction
-veneers/esthetic dentistry
-basic orthodontics
-placing crown on implants
-molar endo

also, how early do you start seeing patients for prophies, exams, sealants and stuff like that? when do you start learning to cut preps on the extracted teeth?

bummmp
there has got to be someone on here from UMich!

Biogirl361 said:
okay, a few quick specific questions. How much (if any) experience do you get in these areas during pre-doctoral training at UM?

-3rd molar extraction
-veneers/esthetic dentistry
-basic orthodontics
-placing crown on implants
-molar endo

also, how early do you start seeing patients for prophies, exams, sealants and stuff like that? when do you start learning to cut preps on the extracted teeth?

Only if the wizzies are erupted. If not, then they're going to the OS. I doubt this is much different elsewhere.

Sure plenty, just find a patient who can afford them. Even at $300 a tooth, most patients who come to dental schools aren't looking for glamour and even if they were, they can't afford it. This is how it is everywhere else. If someone tells you different, I'd have a hard time believing it. Dental schools patients just kinda suck.

We do too much ortho IMO. Unlike many other schools, we're required to do a tooth movement for graduation on a patient. You can do a little or as much as you want depending on your interest. I'm doing my brother's full upper and lower braces. Other classmates are doing the same. As long as they're a Class I, and it's basic alignment, glue those brackets on and have at it.

They just recently started an implant program for about $1200/tooth. I'll do a few before I graduate (first this summer some time) but these things take a lot of time and considering it's at a school, it takes even longer. Everyone is treatment planning them though and the patients are buying.

Not enough. There's a grad endo program and they seem to have the opinion that general dentists shouldn't be doing endo. We'll that's kinda tongue-in-cheek but they do narc a lot of cases from us which gets on my nerves. We have requirements to do molar endo but that's my biggest clinical complaint about Michigan, not seeing enough endo.

thank you so much for the thorough reply bluetooth, you rock. i feel a lot better now :)