Could really use some advice on this challenge question and my choices for topics. Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phixius12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

So I'm having some trouble with this prompt "Describe a major problem you've dealt with in your life. How did you deal with it and how did it influence your growth?"

My entire application is pretty much themed around coming from a disadvantaged background, how I overcame my circumstances, and how that will help me in the future. Problem is, for one of my secondaries I've touched on this theme quite a few times already and in my primary as well so I feel like I shouldn't answer this "problem question" with another one of the things I overcame to get here.

My first option: Talking about dealing with my mom's battle with psychosis. (However this was mentioned in primary app on a superficial level).

Second option: Talking about how I had to take care of my sister and guide her when she was getting involved with the wrong crowd (as our parents were not really in the picture) and could not do this for either of us.

I'm not sure how detailed I should get for either of these topics.

Would really appreciate some advice. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all.

So I'm having some trouble with this prompt "Describe a major problem you've dealt with in your life. How did you deal with it and how did it influence your growth?"

My entire application is pretty much themed around coming from a disadvantaged background, how I overcame my circumstances, and how that will help me in the future. Problem is, for one of my secondaries I've touched on this theme quite a few times already and in my primary as well so I feel like I shouldn't answer this "problem question" with another one of the things I overcame to get here.

My first option: Talking about dealing with my mom's battle with psychosis. (However this was mentioned in primary app on a superficial level).

Second option: Talking about how I had to take care of my sister and guide her when she was getting involved with the wrong crowd (as our parents were not really in the picture) and could not do this for either of us.

Either of these options seem very acceptable, as they both seem to offer opportunities to demonstrate character, growth, introspective analysis, and overall maturity. If I were choosing one over the other (and not based on the particulars of your situation), I think you could get significant emotional traction with the travails resultant from mom's psychosis. As far as how detailed you should be, it seems you should make it clear why you viewed this issue as significant, how you responded, and you grew through the process; it should be detailed enough so any reader could see how profoundly this problem impacted you. Finally, the fact you "touched on this theme quite a few times already" is totally understandable, given the severity of the issues, so if your response is well-crafted you should be fine; trying to manufacture yet another circumstance (that is likely to read as less significant) may very well leave the reader wondering about your authenticity; focus on what's emotionally relevant to you.

Reactions: 2 users
#1 all the way

Hi all.

Reactions: 1 user