Could really use some help...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moose66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current 2nd semester sophomore at USC and for as long as I can remember, I've wanted to become a surgeon. Academics were never really an issue for me until recently, and now I'm at a crossroads where I really don't know what to do. Out of high school I got Spring admission to SC, so I went to a community college in the fall where I got a 4.0. Then, when I got to SC, my GPA tanked to a 2.45 in the spring, and dropped even lower to a 2.1 Fall semester sophomore year. Aside from this, I've been doing breast cancer research at UCLA with the possibility of being published and I write for an electronic music website which will be hosting an event at a bar next week in which proceeds will go towards a charity that feeds the hungry in America. I'm an extremely passionate person and the field of medicine is fascinating to me, but I feel like medical school is only getting farther and farther away from my reach. What brought me to write this is that, today, I got my grade back for a General Chemistry exam I have been studying for ever since winter break (before the class even started) and got 2 points below average. Despite the fact that I've changed my study habits drastically and have become much more efficient with my time, for some reason I still wasn't able to pull the score I needed. I know that getting an average grade on 1 test isn't a big deal, but it freaks me out that even though I studied so much for it, I still didn't get an A or even a B. And what bothers me the most is that, although this is a premed class, I know it has nothing to do with what I want to be doing. I feel like I'm being tested on irrelevant material. But either way, I'm really conflicted now and feel like my chances of getting into medical school in a reasonable amount of time are really slim. Like I feel like I'm trying my best and it's still not good enough, so I don't know what to do anymore. Can anyone shed some light on this situation or give me some guidance?
Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was a spring admit at usc too. honestly your chances are really slim of becoming a surgeon not to be a downer. you feel like you are being tested on irrelevant material but its the foundation of what you are going to learn in medical school. the first two years of med school are basic science, where you are going to have to know most of it to do well on the first licensing exam. Grades and MCAT are the biggest factor in what schools will interview you. In my experience, being below 3.5 will make it very difficult to succeed. I did the cc thing too before usc, did 4.0, but didn't have a problem at SC after that. the gen chem classes when I took them a few years ago were pretty easy. Everybody is different tho, but you can't complain about the material being irrelevant because it kinda is relevant (for me, in retrospect, even though I thought the same thing when I was an undergrad.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Really, KLycos? THAT'S your response?

Moose- from here on out, it'll be a struggle but med school is still on the table if you want it to be. You still have a little over 2 years before you apply (assuming you wait until the end of senior year to apply) so I'd suggest talking to TAs and professors about your study strategies and even tutors if need be. There's no use in being upset about Gen Chem being irrelevant. You will NOT need to know this in your first 2 years of med school (I'm at Keck), but you'll need it as a foundation and for the MCAT.

There are other options to boost your GPA after undergrad including post-baccs and SMPs. If you can rock the MCAT, you'll up your chances astronomically.

Take it from someone who had a 2.8 GPA sophomore year. I figured out how to study, ended up with a 3.5 and got in to med school on try#1.

If this is what you want, be realistic, proactive, and get advising.

You're definitely not out of the picture yet, so don't give up hope! There are a couple things you might want to consider doing, both for your GPA, for your own personal mastery of the material, and for your own self. I don't know you personally so I apologize in advance if some of these things don't apply:

1. Re-take ay class in which you got a C+ or lower, if your school allows it. If your school doesn't allow it I'd even consider taking it as a non-degree-seeking student at another institution, or at a nearby community college (the latter isn't the best option, but it is one nonetheless). If you can do better in a course the second time around, it won't fix your GPA entirely (a C and an A in the same course will average out to a B on the AMCAS) but it will boost it, and it will show that you do know the material, and can do well in that particular subject. This is a personal opinion of mine, and a lot of people won't be in support of a re-take, but if your foundation isn't strong in a particular subject, you'll have a rough time doing well in upper-level classes. I re-took one semester of biology and I swear, if I hadn't done so, I would've been killed in subsequent microbiology classes.

2. GET A TUTOR. Most colleges have free tutoring, and I imagine USC should, as well. A lot of intro classes have a TON of tutoring options, including helprooms, extended office hours, and other resources. Make use of everything that is available to you in the class you're taking, and if its still not enough, get a tutor.

3. Only take as many courses as you can handle. It's better to take 4 classes and get all A's than take 6 classes and get B's and C's. If that means you have to take summer classes or even an extra semester, then do it. Most people take a gap year anyways.

4. When you study, make sure you aren't distracted. I don't know you or your study habits, but if you're someone who's prone to studying with Facebook open, it'll be hard to focus. I always study for 45 minutes without any distractions, and then take a 10-15 minute computer/food break.

5. Do your best to distance yourself from any external distractions. This sounds harsh and cold, but a lot of people in college will have something happen to them, and it sucks. In the year and a half that I've been in college I've had a sibling attempt suicide and two friends and a boyfriend die, and it really threw me off. But you can't let anything external bother you at this point in time because its the only chance you have at preparing yourself for the future. If you need to, make use of all of the counseling services available through your school, and get as much help as you need in that arena. One of the stats published at my school stated that about 50% of college students nationwide utilized their school's counseling department at least once.

Hope that helps, and PM me if you need any more suggestions. And GOOD LUCK! You still have time to pull yourself back up!!