could someone explain...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shireen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how the application process works.
because i am under the impression that you apply to amcas and then there is this large chance that they can reject you (?is this correct?), but if they accept you THEN you can apply to the schools you wish to apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

•••quote:••• how the application process works.
because i am under the impression that you apply to amcas and then there is this large chance that they can reject you (?is this correct?), but if they accept you THEN you can apply to the schools you wish to apply to.
••••Nope this is not correct the purpose of AMCAS is to make the application process easier for the applicant(people who applied this year may disagree whether they succeeded but that is the purpose of ACMAS). So what ACMAS does is collect together all your vital info GPA, MCAT schools attended, basic essays, Extra curricular activities and then sends all the info to the schools you want to apply to. It is entirely up to the schools if they want to send you a secondary application based on your scores, GPA etc.

Amcas is the central application service.I mean you fill AMCAs application and in the end you assingn schools you want to apply. Based on the number of schools you apply they charge you the application fees. Amcas does not reject your application. AMCAS forwards your application to all the schools that you assign on amcas application. Once AMCAS forward your application to other school,then amcas is pretty much done. Then the indiavidual schools will take care of your application from there on and reject you or accept you or whatevr they do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go talk to a pre-med advisor immediately if you're in college!

Sweet mother of crap!!! AMCAS rejecting folks? They wish. Optimistic and med student have it right. Good luck with the process. I hope you guys have it easier than we did.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by med student:
•••••So what ACMAS does is collect together all your vital info GPA, MCAT schools attended, basic essays, Extra curricular activities and then sends all the info to the schools you want to apply to.•

You forgot to mention one thing. They collect lots and lots of your money too!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by DrBlueDevil:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by med student:
•••••So what ACMAS does is collect together all your vital info GPA, MCAT schools attended, basic essays, Extra curricular activities and then sends all the info to the schools you want to apply to.•

You forgot to mention one thing. They collect lots and lots of your money too!•••••ehem...they send the stuff to other schools??! REALLY....OH jeez louiz...you mean the fact that I had to SEND all my stuff to ALL the schools this year isn't the norm? HAHAHA :p

my pre-med advisor is the spaghetti brain that confused me in the first place. she told me that once i turned in my application to amcas, they would determine whether i had made the minimum requirements and if i did then they would forward it on to the schools i list on my application.
i did not think this was how it worked.

how can someone be PAID to be a "pre-med" advisor and dispense such erroneous basic information??!! That makes me mad!! :mad:

I agree! The problem with premed advisors is that they have never applied to med school.....so they usually know nothing! (Unless of course they are experienced in advising)....so I would say that the best advice would come from a first year medical student or an SDNer or a member of an admissions committee...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by shireen:
•my pre-med advisor is the spaghetti brain that confused me in the first place. she told me that once i turned in my application to amcas, they would determine whether i had made the minimum requirements and if i did then they would forward it on to the schools i list on my application.
i did not think this was how it worked.•••••I'm sorry to inform you that your advisor is an idiot. You might be able to get MORE and BETTER info from this website.