Could this have hurt me?

Started by qsauce
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

qsauce

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I recently heard back from a couple of MD programs I interviewed at, and I was either waitlisted or rejected. I’m trying to think through possible reasons (besides interview performance), and one thing that crossed my mind is that the PI I currently work under in my research lab also happens to be the chair of medicine at my university.

I’m wondering if that could’ve made other medical schools assume I’m unlikely to attend elsewhere, like maybe they thought I’d probably just go to my home institution since I have such a strong connection there.

Do you think that’s a realistic possibility, or am I overthinking this?
 
So I recently heard back from a couple of MD programs I interviewed at, and I was either waitlisted or rejected. I’m trying to think through possible reasons (besides interview performance), and one thing that crossed my mind is that the PI I currently work under in my research lab also happens to be the chair of medicine at my university.

I’m wondering if that could’ve made other medical schools assume I’m unlikely to attend elsewhere, like maybe they thought I’d probably just go to my home institution since I have such a strong connection there.

Do you think that’s a realistic possibility, or am I overthinking this?
We don't have your WAMC profile, but I doubt your PI being the chair of medicine mattered, compared to mission fit.
 
So I recently heard back from a couple of MD programs I interviewed at, and I was either waitlisted or rejected. I’m trying to think through possible reasons (besides interview performance), and one thing that crossed my mind is that the PI I currently work under in my research lab also happens to be the chair of medicine at my university.

I’m wondering if that could’ve made other medical schools assume I’m unlikely to attend elsewhere, like maybe they thought I’d probably just go to my home institution since I have such a strong connection there.

Do you think that’s a realistic possibility, or am I overthinking this?
Major league overthinking.

Work on interview skills