How much will this amcas mistake hurt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ggjgghhbhjhgggg

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So on one of my MME theres an error within the dates, and a true 6 month activity is written as a 2 month activity. The hours are correct and dont look suspicious given the inaccurate time frame and the rest of my hours. Depending on how schools perceive it I would like to email/update schools to correct the error so it doesn’t look like I did this activity to "check a box". For what it’s worth the hours are listing at 275, and I have a letter that implies (doesn’t explicitly state though) current involvement, and it also mentions I frequently volunteered there. I dont think it mentions any dates.

My question is how much would admitting to an error like this hurt, and would it help to get the letter writer to add in dates?
 
So on one of my MME theres an error within the dates, and a true 6 month activity is written as a 2 month activity. The hours are correct and dont look suspicious given the inaccurate time frame and the rest of my hours. Depending on how schools perceive it I would like to email/update schools to correct the error so it doesn’t look like I did this activity to "check a box". For what it’s worth the hours are listing at 275, and I have a letter that implies (doesn’t explicitly state though) current involvement, and it also mentions I frequently volunteered there. I dont think it mentions any dates.

My question is how much would admitting to an error like this hurt, and would it help to get the letter writer to add in dates?
Let it go, it’s a typo.

Proofread your secondary essays relentlessly
 
Last edited:
Let it go it’s a typo

Proofread your secondary

So if I do update schools it would significantly hurt to admit to a mistake like this?

Also I think it would look better if my app reflected more longitudinal commitment to the activity. But if it would do more harm to draw attention to it and I leave it alone, Im worried on what might happen if a school verifies activities and they discover the discrepancy,
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So if I do update schools it would significantly hurt to admit to a mistake like this?

Also I think it would look better if my app reflected more longitudinal commitment to the activity. But if it would do more harm to draw attention to it and I leave it alone, Im worried on what might happen if a school verifies activities and they discover the discrepancy,
In my opinion calling extra attention to a minor error makes you seem too nervous and unsure of yourself.
Others may have different advice
 
In my opinion calling extra attention to a minor error makes you seem too nervous and unsure of yourself.
Others may have different advice
50,000 applicants. Say 25 schools each. That’s 1.25 million applications being processed by a handful of beleaguered screeners at 150 schools.

In other words, the system has a hard enough time digesting the important stuff. Some random typo is going to attract precisely zero attention.
The thing is I'm not sure if it’s a minor typo. I feel like for my application, a experience that I designated as one of my "most meaningful experiences" looks better when having 275 hours over 6 months instead of 2 as listed.

Also, schools would have no way of knowing it’s a typo unless I explicitly update or inform them. As far as I know my letter of recommendation only mentions that I was highly active, but nothing about dates were explicitly stated.
 
Welcome to the forums.

This is your first thread. We know absolutely nothing about your application or this experience. Yet you want experts to tell you that you bombed your chances of getting into medical school, instead of listening to our impressions?

If it makes you feel better to send an email to all your schools to tell them that you need to explain yourself beyond what you wrote in your application, go ahead and give the schools evidence that you are careless or neurotic. We don't like to feed your anxiety like reddit or other forums can, but if it's a foregone conclusion you'll email them anyway, then do it with enthusiasm.
 
So on one of my MME theres an error within the dates, and a true 6 month activity is written as a 2 month activity. The hours are correct and dont look suspicious given the inaccurate time frame and the rest of my hours. Depending on how schools perceive it I would like to email/update schools to correct the error so it doesn’t look like I did this activity to "check a box". For what it’s worth the hours are listing at 275, and I have a letter that implies (doesn’t explicitly state though) current involvement, and it also mentions I frequently volunteered there. I dont think it mentions any dates.

My question is how much would admitting to an error like this hurt, and would it help to get the letter writer to add in dates?
You are overthinking this, and no one will care.
 
The thing is I'm not sure if it’s a minor typo. I feel like for my application, a experience that I designated as one of my "most meaningful experiences" looks better when having 275 hours over 6 months instead of 2 as listed.

Also, schools would have no way of knowing it’s a typo unless I explicitly update or inform them. As far as I know my letter of recommendation only mentions that I was highly active, but nothing about dates were explicitly stated.
I agree with @Goro here. It would be worth addressing if you accidentally typed 2750 instead of 275, but that's not what happened. Do not Streisand Effect this minor error. You can clarify the timeline if/when you get interviews.
 
I agree with @Goro here. It would be worth addressing if you accidentally typed 2750 instead of 275, but that's not what happened. Do not Streisand Effect this minor error. You can clarify the timeline if/when you get interviews.
You are overthinking this, and no one will care.
Welcome to the forums.

This is your first thread. We know absolutely nothing about your application or this experience. Yet you want experts to tell you that you bombed your chances of getting into medical school, instead of listening to our impressions?

If it makes you feel better to send an email to all your schools to tell them that you need to explain yourself beyond what you wrote in your application, go ahead and give the schools evidence that you are careless or neurotic. We don't like to feed your anxiety like reddit or other forums can, but if it's a foregone conclusion you'll email them anyway, then do it with enthusiasm.
Thanks for all the feedback. Unless asked in an interview, ill just leave things as be then.