PhD/PsyD Counseling Psych Workplaces

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding where a Counseling Psychologist can work and what they can do. Here's the questions:

• Can a Counseling Psychologist work in a hospital/medical center? If so, what do they usually do?
  • Can a Counseling Psychologist become trained in Grief/Bereavement and Trauma Counseling?
  • Is it possible to teach in a Clinical Psych program? (Like teach counseling methods. cross-cultural psychology, etc.)
  • Are Counseling Psychologists able to work in either the missions field or with Disaster Relief Organizations?

I would also like to thank everyone in advance for their greatly appreciated advice/opinion

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding where a Counseling Psychologist can work and what they can do. Here's the questions:

• Can a Counseling Psychologist work in a hospital/medical center? If so, what do they usually do?
  • Can a Counseling Psychologist become trained in Grief/Bereavement and Trauma Counseling?
  • Is it possible to teach in a Clinical Psych program? (Like teach counseling methods. cross-cultural psychology, etc.)
  • Are Counseling Psychologists able to work in either the missions field or with Disaster Relief Organizations?

I would also like to thank everyone in advance for their greatly appreciated advice/opinion
Yes to all above...you just need to acquire related experience that qualifies you for the specific positions. Once you are licensed the differences are often lost on the general public and where you have trained and the specific populations/modalities you have proficiency with is the key.