Incoming Counseling Psychology PhD student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigpsychguy

Reaction score
Someone who's in or been through a Clinical/Counseling doc program, what are some things you wish you knew ahead of time or how do you think you couldve prepared better for the first year of work. Anything absolutely catch you off guard? Is it actually an insane grind or are you still able to have hobbies/social life?

Are the earlier years (more classes) or later years (practicum/dissertation) more difficult of a time?

Any rough adjustments coming out of undergrad work?

Members don't see this ad.

I really enjoyed the process and was glad to start actually doing real clinical work and the classroom stuff was very practically focused. The more time that you put into it, the better, but some of what we learn during this is how to be effective and efficient and balanced so keep that in my mind. Since I wasn’t working that hard prior and am not naturally a person who puts too much effort in to work, I actually focused more on trying to go the extra mile and working harder. I liked the more collegial atmosphere and being involved with professors and their research and practice and my only regret is that I couldn’t do everything.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll definitely be busier than undergrad. Expect somewhere in the ballpark of 50 hours week on average with more like 60-70 during crunch times, like exams, due dates, papers, etc. From what I've seen, I would say that the biggest mental shift for people is that there is far less hand-holding than undergrad or even during a master's program from your graduate student faculty (disclosure: I went to an counseling psych Ph.D. program at an R1 so this is my experience). Thus, it's on you to figure things out. Obviously your faculty should point you in the right direction, but your path is largely yours to determine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really enjoyed the process and was glad to start actually doing real clinical work and the classroom stuff was very practically focused. The more time that you put into it, the better, but some of what we learn during this is how to be effective and efficient and balanced so keep that in my mind. Since I wasn’t working that hard prior and am not naturally a person who puts too much effort in to work, I actually focused more on trying to go the extra mile and working harder. I liked the more collegial atmosphere and being involved with professors and their research and practice and my only regret is that I couldn’t do everything.
This is nice to hear, I'm very excited for clinical work and practicum. I will definitely keep in mind staying balanced. I've read several places that knowing when to turn things down in the interest of not spreading yourself too thin is key.

You'll definitely be busier than undergrad. Expect somewhere in the ballpark of 50 hours week on average with more like 60-70 during crunch times, like exams, due dates, papers, etc. From what I've seen, I would say that the biggest mental shift for people is that there is far less hand-holding than undergrad or even during a master's program from your graduate student faculty (disclosure: I went to an counseling psych Ph.D. program at an R1 so this is my experience). Thus, it's on you to figure things out. Obviously your faculty should point you in the right direction, but your path is largely yours to determine.
Good to know on the lack of handholding. Did balancing research/practicum/classes come easy or was it a process of making things work? I'm also going into a Counseling Psych program at an R1. Was the pressure of research huge or largely determined by you?

Grades don't really matter that much. While I knew this, there are those that did not.

Reactions: 3 users
Good to know on the lack of handholding. Did balancing research/practicum/classes come easy or was it a process of making things work? I'm also going into a Counseling Psych program at an R1. Was the pressure of research huge or largely determined by you?

Definitely a process. It will be critical for you to learn the difference between "good" and "done." Nothing needs to be "perfect." IME, research priorities were mentor-specific. I worked under (and was funded by) grants or other research related funds my entire time there, but I was one of the few.

Also, be sure to schedule time for you to do something away from graduate school.

Reactions: 2 users
One of my biggest struggles was trying to find the balance between saying yes/no to things that were requested of me (like helping with somebody else's research project), pursuing things that were not required but were of personal benefit/interest, doing the things that were required, and finding time for myself outside of school.

It's typical for first and second years to say yes to everything and over-commit, especially for things that are not necessary for your actual success as a student or future professional and/or have marginal intrinsic value.

Reactions: 4 users
Someone who's in or been through a Clinical/Counseling doc program, what are some things you wish you knew ahead of time or how do you think you couldve prepared better for the first year of work. Anything absolutely catch you off guard? Is it actually an insane grind or are you still able to have hobbies/social life?

Are the earlier years (more classes) or later years (practicum/dissertation) more difficult of a time?

Still in my program. Here are some insights:
  • I was informed to take it easy in the first year and I'm glad I took this advice. This pairs with the "don't say yes to everything" rhetoric because the following years are going to be entirely hectic with balancing externships, dissertation writing, research, etc.
  • What you're interested in doing post-graduation is probably going to change a lot as you get exposed to many things throughout your first year and on, and that's alright. I thought I had a clear idea about what I wanted to do, but that is rapidly shifting.
  • YMMV, but be frank with the faculty on what you need help with. This was a big hump to get over for me. You are practically an investment and they hope to see you succeed. My advisor is really cool and has helped me out more times than I could count both academically and personally
  • Accept that your work is "good enough" and give'er. If you try to do everything 100% pristine, you'll probably burn out.
  • And lastly, you're able to have a life still. I still find time to weightlift, run, play DnD, and go out to drink and dance with my schedule, and I don't intend to stop. Savor your free time and hobbies as an outlet from the stress

Still in my program. Here are some insights:
  • I was informed to take it easy in the first year and I'm glad I took this advice. This pairs with the "don't say yes to everything" rhetoric because the following years are going to be entirely hectic with balancing externships, dissertation writing, research, etc.
  • What you're interested in doing post-graduation is probably going to change a lot as you get exposed to many things throughout your first year and on, and that's alright. I thought I had a clear idea about what I wanted to do, but that is rapidly shifting.
  • YMMV, but be frank with the faculty on what you need help with. This was a big hump to get over for me. You are practically an investment and they hope to see you succeed. My advisor is really cool and has helped me out more times than I could count both academically and personally
  • Accept that your work is "good enough" and give'er. If you try to do everything 100% pristine, you'll probably burn out.
  • And lastly, you're able to have a life still. I still find time to weightlift, run, play DnD, and go out to drink and dance with my schedule, and I don't intend to stop. Savor your free time and hobbies as an outlet from the stress
This is very reassuring thank you. What was the shift between what you wanted to do and your goals now (and what caused it), if you don't mind me asking.

This is very reassuring thank you. What was the shift between what you wanted to do and your goals now (and what caused it), if you don't mind me asking.
Just learning a bit more about the various aspects, associated work, and intricacies of salary in the field I suppose. I jumped from neuropsych, to private practice, to academia, to private practice, to legislative work, to quitting and living a humble life in a sailboat, and I am now hovering between an assessment/group therapy-focused practice and academia.

But I know damn well that's going to change too. It's good to have a plan, but there's no use in trying to plan too far ahead when I need to just get through graduating first lol

Reactions: 1 users

Well gosh. Your name screams western carolina and KU.

It all depends. The biggest secret is learning new time management skills and strategies. The UG ones won't work anymore. It takes a lot of time each week to do doctoral studies well (70+) but it's also super rewarding.

I found the first year to be the most difficult, not because of the content, but the adjustment to the schedule and time commitment, new city, new people, etc. Adjustment shouldn’t be underestimated in the beginning. My cohort was very mutually supportive, however, and other cohorts invited us to social functions so we’d get to know them as well. That helped a lot. I got very close to members of my cohort and some in other cohorts. That said, the people in the cohort behind me clashed with each other and had a lot of conflict, so that happens too—some of that is luck of the draw and personality compatibility, as well as life stages (some people already have kids and/or are busier outside of grad school, so they’re less available).

Once that 1st year hurdle was crossed, I got busier with each succeeding year but got better at managing my time and figuring out ways to balance things. Comps year/defense proposal year/internship application year was the 2nd hardest year due to the demands of preparing for all of those things.

Make sure you get plenty of assessment experience in grad school and teach a class independently. Those experiences will keep MANY more doors/options open in your career.

Make sure you get plenty of assessment experience in grad school and teach a class independently. Those experiences will keep MANY more doors/options open in your career.

Second this recommendation. Depending on where you go, some counseling programs will eschew the importance of diagnosis and assessment on theoretical grounds. However, these are critical skills for psychologists, regardless of the programs training philosophy, as they are arguably what separates the practice of psychology the most from the other mental health professions.

I definitely found years 1-3 to be the worst in my program. Once I was just doing my dissertation and one advanced practicum in 4th + 5th year, it was much more reasonable. Still a lot of work.

Hobbies are key to develop or implement early in your training, as there always is "more" you can be doing in theory for your program or career. Having good friends and/or a partner who can keep you accountable to a work-life balance also helps. :)