Counseling Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joelc915

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will graduate next fall with a BSW with a minor in Psychology. My current GPA is 3.2 and I'm studying for the GRE's. Before going to college I worked in the mental health field conducting group counseling sessions with my community college professor, working in drug rehab centers and in group homes for the deveopmentally disabled. I'm interested in pursuing a Ph.D in Counseling Psychology as I would like to counsel patients in a private practice, but I would also like to hold a research position if at all possible. My question is what are my chances of getting into an APA accredited program? What can I do to increase my chances (master's or MSW first, RA position, etc?) Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I will graduate next fall with a BSW with a minor in Psychology. My current GPA is 3.2 and I'm studying for the GRE's. Before going to college I worked in the mental health field conducting group counseling sessions with my community college professor, working in drug rehab centers and in group homes for the deveopmentally disabled. I'm interested in pursuing a Ph.D in Counseling Psychology as I would like to counsel patients in a private practice, but I would also like to hold a research position if at all possible. My question is what are my chances of getting into an APA accredited program? What can I do to increase my chances (master's or MSW first, RA position, etc?) Thanks in advance.

What's the reason for your focus on Counseling Psych? Nothing in your post suggests precluding Clinical to me.

What's the reason for your focus on Counseling Psych? Nothing in your post suggests precluding Clinical to me.

I just know that Clincal Psych programs are more difficult to secure admission. I plan on applying to some, but I figured I'd have a better chance with Counseling Psychology. Am I wrong with this assumption?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are fewer Counseling Psych programs but they also tend to be more accessible (less competitive in terms of numbers and GRE cut offs therefore) and to have relatively more funded positions overall. (This is primarily because more clinical programs are PsyDs and a smaller proportion are funded)

I just know that Clincal Psych programs are more difficult to secure admission. I plan on applying to some, but I figured I'd have a better chance with Counseling Psychology. Am I wrong with this assumption?

Yes and no. Counseling Psychology is plenty competitive.

Depends very much on the school, and the program. Don't expect a large difference in the quality of student. In both areas (clinical and counseling) the quality of student is quite high.

Some counseling programs ignored me, some interviewed me, and others accepted me. Same held true for clinical programs, all in all, seemed about equally competitive. Don't avoid clinical programs thinking that admission is easier in counseling. Find programs that fit your interests and what you want to do, apply there, regardless of clinical or counseling orientation. Fit is the most important factor.

Expect counseling programs to ask you, why not clinical? The wrong answer is, well it's less competitive.

Mark