Countercurrent Exchange

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

marypredds

Can someone please explain to me countercurrent exchange and if you can also explain to me concurrent exchange and why it's not used for respiratory sytem of bony fishes? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading up on this stuff...i think i kind of understand it, but I want to see if someone else can explain it to me better....thanks!

I've been reading up on this stuff...i think i kind of understand it, but I want to see if someone else can explain it to me better....thanks!

okay I'll tell you what I know.
countercurrent exchange is in fish's gills (I don't know why not in bony fish). It is due to the lower solubility of oxygen in water. To be able to extract more oxygen, this mechanism is used; water and blood are moving in opposite directions to increase the extraction of oxygen from water. Dissolved gases diffuse faster between fluids with a large difference in gas concentration (a high concentration gradient) than between fluids with only a small difference.

someone can add to this now...