Countries with no age limit to practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoggie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a neurosurgeon, but not until I've been a pilot for twenty years (ages 28-48ish). I want to find a job where I will not be forced by law to retire, and neurosurgey has been a longtime dream of mine. I am not ruling out the US, the only thing is that I've lived here for a long time and also at the same time really love Europe. I plan to be a Swiss or German pilot, and I don't think I'd want to be a doctor there. I tried Google to find these age limits, but to no avail.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to be a neurosurgeon, perhaps in Ireland, but not until I've been a pilot for twenty years (ages 28-48ish). I want to find a job where I will not be forced by law to retire, and neurosurgey has been a longtime dream of mine. I am not ruling out the US, the only thing is that I've lived here for a long time and also at the same time really love Europe. I plan to be a Swiss or German pilot, and I don't think I'd want to be a doctor there. I tried Google to find these age limits, but to no avail.

I have never heard of a specific age of retirement in most countries, generally it is a matter of individual capacity, but frankly bud you aren't going to find a neurosurg residency spotlights, possibly not even a medical school, at age 48. You would nt even be an attending until essentially 60!

Last edited:
I don't think a country having an age limit will be the issue. I think you would have trouble getting a job at that age. Places may not be technically able to discriminate on age but there are other less direct ways they could do it, say you show lack of dedication etc. If you are that fussed about being a pilot you shouldn't and wont be a neurosurgeon, it takes a lot of dedication.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen some old neurosurgeons in practice. We even had Dr. Pratt (inventor of the Jackson Pratt drain) as a locums for a while. I think he is in his 70's.

The trouble would be convincing a medical school to take the time to educate you and a residency program to take the time to train you when they could educate/train someone younger who would contribute longer to the field.

I once saw a television program featuring a man in his 80s or 90s still practicing surgery, and still extremely sharp and vigilant. The program was highlighting this point, and I was completely inspired. Of course, this is probably an exceptional story and not the norm, I understand that.

I'd like to avoid retirement for as long as possible. The reason a pilot job comes before a neurosurgery/doctor job is that pilots are required to retire at age 65. (It used to be age 60 not too long ago.) I'm fascinated by and adore both flying turbojets and working intricately with hands, etc.

As much as I'd like to contact some medical admissions personnel and ask them if this may be possible, I'm quite convinced that the aura will be different 25 years from now.

What do you think will happen in the future, in 25 years? I think your guesses will be better than mine!

I found the person I was referring to! His name is Carl Wainwright and he turned 100, still practicing neurosurgery. The Onion has got him on video.

that last sentence confirms this is a joke and to not take the thread seriously.

There is a huge difference between being old and still working as a neurosurgeon and starting really old.