Enterpreneurship medical device academic vs private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstd*+

Reaction score
As a medical student, I think that (and i may be wrong) most surgical innovations and medical devices come out of physicians from universities and I find they are co founders to many devices.

But Dr John Alder, Stanford neurosurgeon who invented gamma knife surgery said in the surgeon agent interview that he would actually have been in private practice in todays world and innovative spirit is much easily nurtured in private practice world than in academic.

So are there even more constraints to innovations and enterpreneurship in medical devices in academic world though I always see big medical innovations coming out of universities?
If so what are the constraints ?
Can research and clinical trials which are essential for this be done in private practice or is academic < big university name > a must here for grants??
What practice should be pursued for innovation and enterpreneurship in medical devices?
Please help i am really confused.
Any knowledge is appreciated very much. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As a medical student, I think that (and i may be wrong) most surgical innovations and medical devices come out of physicians from universities and I find they are co founders to many devices.

But Dr John Alder, Stanford neurosurgeon who invented gamma knife surgery said in the surgeon agent interview that he would actually have been in private practice in todays world and innovative spirit is much easily nurtured in private practice world than in academic.

So are there even more constraints to innovations and enterpreneurship in medical devices in academic world though I always see big medical innovations coming out of universities?
Can research and clinical trials which are essential for this be done in private practice or is academic < big university name > a must here for grants??
What practice should be pursued for innovation and enterpreneurship in medical devices?

From my understanding (granted I am just as naïve as you are) is funding. In PP you have overhead and such that your clinical productivity takes care of. To try and balance this as well as research and clinical trials to create an innovative medical device would just be a recipe for disaster. In the uni setting you have more coverage in the sense that you may have dedicated time with such studies paired with grants etc and less overhead than you would have in PP.

If you could it would be great to be able to work a few days in PP and then dedicate your time off in a position at uni for your time and innovative desires.

This was just my thoughts behind the matter and I am in no way 100% sure on my reasoning. I'm at work at the moment and like to peruse the forums. lol.

To be clear John addler did not invent GKRS. He improved upon what he saw with Leksell. Leaps forward in innovation are rarely isolated geniuses working alone. They're collaborations and exposures to different ideas and view points. Hard to have that in PP. Plus infrastructure and funding.

Reactions: 1 user