country clubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ThinkFast007

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys

quesiton. I heard a few attendings talk about country clubs.

to those of you out there. how does one join country clubs? is it true it's something you have to be 'invited' into? and apparently you have to pay like $30-40K an year 😱

is this true? i mean i'm sure this isnt the case for all of them...but does this generally hold?
 
ThinkFast007 said:
hey guys

quesiton. I heard a few attendings talk about country clubs.

to those of you out there. how does one join country clubs? is it true it's something you have to be 'invited' into? and apparently you have to pay like $30-40K an year 😱

is this true? i mean i'm sure this isnt the case for all of them...but does this generally hold?

Some country clubs you do have to be invited and some do require a crap load of money, even more than 40K - I know of one thats 50K, and its not exactly the Hamptons. I think that this is NOT generally the case where most require a much, much lower fee and have no blatant discrimination policy, oops, I mean invitation policy.

I know one girl who's mother goes to the "club" and literally had cut a hole in her golfing glove to show off the giant diamond.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good country clubs will cost anywhere between 10K to 300K to join as a one time initiation fee. Then you will have the monthly dues which can run between 300 dollars to 2K a month.

I've only caddied at country clubs. Not sure if I would want to join one. The best thing about a country club is that you can usually get onto the course without waiting and the rounds are quicker because there are less people playing. Also, the courses are kept up nicer.

If you live in a bigger metropolitan area that has lots of high quality (higher priced) golf courses, it might be better to just pay 80-100 dollars a round for golf as opposed to the high initiation fee and monthly dues. Plus you get to play different courses.

But, if belonging to a country club is a status thing to you, then I guess you would have to pony up.
 
We used to eat brunch at my grandparent's country club every Mother's Day. I would wait all year for that day...damn, they had the best f-ing crepes.
 
Andy15430 said:
We used to eat brunch at my grandparent's country club every Mother's Day. I would wait all year for that day...damn, they had the best f-ing crepes.

What's the deal w/ the farm animal in your avatar???

Edit: Oh...had to put on my glasses...arrested development.
 
ThinkFast007 said:
hey guys

quesiton. I heard a few attendings talk about country clubs.

to those of you out there. how does one join country clubs? is it true it's something you have to be 'invited' into? and apparently you have to pay like $30-40K an year 😱

is this true? i mean i'm sure this isnt the case for all of them...but does this generally hold?


Heres my take on country clubs. And this is coming from a dude that'll put my bank against any "country club guru" out there.

Country clubs are for people concerned with publicly promoting their "rich" status. i.e., "Cmon, Honey. Lets go eat dinner at "The Country Club", where the food is ok, the ambience is mediocre, but everybody will "know" we're celebrity."

Gimme a break. Local country clubs are working folks (which we all are) attempt at rising above mediocrity. Its all fake. Its all about the "rich" (haha...I make a good living...but Larry Ellison is rich, not me) gethering in a place to say, "hey, I'm rich!"

Just returned from a Las Vegas getaway. Stayed anonomously at the Mirage. Ate at The Stack, a new restaurant in the Mirage, where they treated my wife and I like we were from King Tut's family. Unbelievable.

Thats my chosen gig. Go somewhere where noone knows me, and no one cares. If I come to their establishment, they treat me like royalty....just like they'll treat you.

Country Club, by definition, = I'm mediocre and I need justification for more than I've accomplished.
 
Personally I've never been a member nor has anyone in my family been a member, but I cannot totally agree with what some are saying about them.

If you are someone who really loves golf for instance and the best course in town is a certain country club it behooves you to become a member if cost is feasible as it will allow you to be able to play there often. Furthermore, most clubs allow unlimited range balls etc. Moreover, you can play in tournaments and meet others who share interests.

If you don't like them don't join. But don't badmouth people you don't know for doing something you have no interest in - it's poor form.

Anyway, I respect all on this forum and their views, I just feel it's a waste of time and energy that could be put to constructive use.

And I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" even though it may sound like it 😉
 
ReefTiger said:
Personally I've never been a member nor has anyone in my family been a member, but I cannot totally agree with what some are saying about them.

If you are someone who really loves golf for instance and the best course in town is a certain country club it behooves you to become a member if cost is feasible as it will allow you to be able to play there often. Furthermore, most clubs allow unlimited range balls etc. Moreover, you can play in tournaments and meet others who share interests.

If you don't like them don't join. But don't badmouth people you don't know for doing something you have no interest in - it's poor form.

Anyway, I respect all on this forum and their views, I just feel it's a waste of time and energy that could be put to constructive use.

And I'm not trying to be "holier than thou" even though it may sound like it 😉

20-30 k a year is alot to pay for unlimited range balls.
 
Heeed! said:
They fly straighter when you're paying 20-30k a year to hit them.
shoot

they better fly straighter!

anyways...i just brought the topic up cuz i just saw some movie (cant remember the name) but they were at the CClub often. it was an interesting concept i suppose. 😎