County clinics that never answer calls/reply faxes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorOP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello retail monkeys. How do you guys deal with clinics that never respond? I understand that they're busy, possibly busier than wag/cvs. But they frequently make mistakes on escripts or prescribe things that aren't covered. When we call them, every number goes to voicemail. When we fax, they never respond. So all the problematic prescriptions just pile up. When patients come in they blame us for not taking care of the problems.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello retail monkeys. How do you guys deal with clinics that never respond? I understand that they're busy, possibly busier than wag/cvs. But they frequently make mistakes on escripts or prescribe things that aren't covered. When we call them, every number goes to voicemail. When we fax, they never respond. So all the problematic prescriptions just pile up. When patients come in they blame us for not taking care of the problems.

We have the patient try to get ahold of them and when that doesn't work we tell the patient their only option is to go to the office in person

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. Document you called, date time initials > doc. you called pt (if allowed) with date/time initas. Done. move on.
For wags after 2-3 calls i store rx with annotations on rx and get out of my que.
Teach techs to go to profile and view stored rx when pts call and can't figure out what happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been known to tell the patient the message implied by a lack of response. "I called and asked your doctor for a refill and they never replied. They don't seem to want you to take the medication. If that seems wrong, discuss it with them."

If it's for refills just tell them the doctor isn't responding and tell them to call, calling for refills is a courtesy to begin with, not a requirement. If it's problem scripts I guess you just have to keep trying there's not much else you can do. I'd fax them and leave a voicemail.

Reactions: 1 user