Sep 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
On the interview trail, I have found that some of the big hardcore county programs are amazing. I feel like they would be an unbelievable place to train, and that the grads are total rockstars. My one question, though, is the feasibility of a career in academics after training at a county program. Has anyone out there trained at a county facility and gone into academics? It seems like training in a county hospital would give you great experience to take to an academic program, but I am wondering if it is frowned upon. Any input is appreciated.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
On the interview trail, I have found that some of the big hardcore county programs are amazing. I feel like they would be an unbelievable place to train, and that the grads are total rockstars. My one question, though, is the feasibility of a career in academics after training at a county program. Has anyone out there trained at a county facility and gone into academics? It seems like training in a county hospital would give you great experience to take to an academic program, but I am wondering if it is frowned upon. Any input is appreciated.
Plenty of county's are part of academic centers and plenty of people who end up in academics come from county programs if you look at programs' websites.

The biggest issue I've come across is the time at a county program. In general, you work your butt of at a county for 4 years, with minimal free time and electives/time off compared to other programs. Research isn't always built in, and talking to some residents they admit they really don't have time (even when it is required they tack onto an existing project and do as little as possible).

So minimal time to do research if you go to a county, meanwhile I was told (by an academic doc at a county who was interviewing me) that working in academics is getting more and more competitive (especially in certain parts of the country) and you really want to have at least 3-4 pubs coming out of residency to realistically apply for academic positions. I have no idea how that would possibly happen at a county based on what residents have said.

quicknss

7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2010
Status
For example KingCounty/Suny Downstate in Brooklyn which is arguably one of the top 5 largest county programs in the country graduates 90% of their residents into academic positions without doing fellowships. If you look at most county programs they have just as much elective time as programs like Northwestern or MGH/BW. If you do county and can publish a few papers you are a total stud.

OP
E
Sep 11, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the responses! I just don't have much experience with county programs so I was interested in what others had to say. I appreciate it.