Couple of Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickgirl390

I tell chemistry jokes periodically.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on two things:

1) I'm still waiting to hear back from an interview I had in August. I've called once for an update about a month ago, and received the generic "responses come by mail" answer. I'm worried about a scenario where my letter was lost in the mail. Should I call again, or is that too impatient? If I do call, how persistent should I be for a clear update about my application?

2) I haven't heard anything from my top choice school, other than that I am "eligible for an interview". I was thinking of writing a letter of interest, just to say "hello, I'm still interested in your program", but I don't have any significant updates. Is it worth it to do this, a waste of time, or a bad idea?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1. For them to not give you a response after an August interview is absurd and you should definitely call.

2. Yes, that would probably be a waste of time if you don't have a significant update.

Reactions: 1 user
1. For them to not give you a response after an August interview is absurd and you should definitely call.

2. Yes, that would probably be a waste of time if you don't have a significant update.
Thanks for the response. Does your answer to #1 change if almost no one has heard back yet this cycle? The school specific thread on SDN has most people waiting to hear back. Two people posted that they were accepted. I'm not sure how seriously I should take SDN data though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. Does your answer to #1 change if almost no one has heard back yet this cycle? The school specific thread on SDN has most people waiting to hear back. Two people posted that they were accepted. I'm not sure how seriously I should take SDN data though.
I was in a similar scenario last year. I interviewed at a school in early February and then didn't hear anything until late May. I definitely don't think it's unreasonable to call them if your last contact was a month ago, and ask them when you might expect to hear a decision. Obviously don't bother them everyday, but for them to keep you in the dark this long is ridiculous.

Looking for some advice on two things:

1) I'm still waiting to hear back from an interview I had in August. I've called once for an update about a month ago, and received the generic "responses come by mail" answer. I'm worried about a scenario where my letter was lost in the mail. Should I call again, or is that too impatient? If I do call, how persistent should I be for a clear update about my application?

2) I haven't heard anything from my top choice school, other than that I am "eligible for an interview". I was thinking of writing a letter of interest, just to say "hello, I'm still interested in your program", but I don't have any significant updates. Is it worth it to do this, a waste of time, or a bad idea?

Thank you!

Some schools relate all their offers at the end of the cycle (March). Is the school that interviewed you one of those?

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools relate all their offers at the end of the cycle (March). Is the school that interviewed you one of those?
They haven't done that in the past as far as I can tell. Previous SDN threads show acceptances going out starting around thanksgiving.

If you haven't received a rejection letter yet, you're probably still in the running. If they're a rolling admissions school, you're probably not as competitive as the people they admitted in the first wave but still competitive and so they want to see how the applicant pool turns out before deciding in your case.