Couple questions from non-trad applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msa31

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a non-trad applicant, I'm trying to figure out how to fit in the pre reqs while working full time. So couple questions...

1. Do most schools accept anatomy and physiology as a bio pre req? (I know that a foundations of bio class is helpful for the MCAT, but I figured I could study that informally and save money)

2. When I apply next April (2010), I'll have Chem 1, Chem 2, Physics 1 and Ochem 1 completed. (and possibly the bios if they count) Does it look bad if I have yet to complet physics 2 and ochem 2? How much of those classes would be on the MCATs?

3. And a question that is on here 12934859487 times, any advice on taking the pre reqs at a CC? I'm taking some classes at a 4 year university since they offer them at night (Physics 1, 2 and Chem 2) But ill have to take Ochem at a CC.

Thanks guys! Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I would be worried about taking the MCAT without traditional Bio 1 under your belt. You are likely to run into a lot of replication/transcription, hormonal stuff, genetics (basic) on the MCAT that you will get exposed to considerably during a Bio 1 course. Remember that science prereqs need to be for science majors as well (be careful).

2) Same story with Physics 2 in my opinion. Electricity and magnetism, optics, etc. If you're a quick physics study you might be able to hack it for the MCAT. Ochem 2 is not as big a deal.

3) You're treading on thin ice here. I guess it depends on where you want to go to medical school, and what their individual take is on this scenario.

1) I would be worried about taking the MCAT without traditional Bio 1 under your belt. You are likely to run into a lot of replication/transcription, hormonal stuff, genetics (basic) on the MCAT that you will get exposed to considerably during a Bio 1 course. Remember that science prereqs need to be for science majors as well (be careful).

2) Same story with Physics 2 in my opinion. Electricity and magnetism, optics, etc. If you're a quick physics study you might be able to hack it for the MCAT. Ochem 2 is not as big a deal.

3) You're treading on thin ice here. I guess it depends on where you want to go to medical school, and what their individual take is on this scenario.

I think most of this is spot on. What was your undergrad major? I think some of the answers might change if you already have a chunk of science on your transcript (and in your mind).

1) Why take phys and anatomy and try and cram in the rest of bio through self study? Intro to BIo is great prep for the MCAT so you'd be effectively killing 2 birds with one stone (and taking classes that adcom expects to see).

2) Agree completely with the above - Physics 2 will come up on the mcat, so it would be a fair amount of self-study. Some schools have a year of physics in a summer - have you looked into that. But I don't think adcom cares when you take your classes, so if you can cover the material, i guess you could take physics 2 while applying (and ochem 2 didn't show up on the version of the MCAT that I took). I wonder (and this is PURELY speculative) if your application might be more likely to be continued if you had very few science grades under your belt....although my guess is that this would only matter if you were otherwise marginal at a particular school.

3) My understanding is that 1 or 2 prereqs at a CC is no big deal as long as you have a good reason and you are not just doing it because you couldn't hang with those classes at the 4 year. OChem is a little tricky though, because at many schools it is the weeder class, so you should be able to thoughtfully defend this at interview time. I would hope that adcoms are a bit more understanding of this for non-trads, but I would guess it's also even more important that you ace them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder (and this is PURELY speculative) if your application might be more likely to be continued if you had very few science grades under your belt....although my guess is that this would only matter if you were otherwise marginal at a particular school.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "continued," but if you're referring to schools placing your app on "hold" to see how well you perform in fall semester after you apply, I doubt it. The only reason they will table your application is if you retook the MCAT and they are awaiting the most recent score. Adcoms judge your academic readiness for med school based only on your demonstrated performance, not your anticipated performance. Take as many of the prereqs as possible before you apply for this reason and to maximize your score on the MCAT. That means take ochem 2 and physics 2 if you can. You're more likely to be exposed to all relevant material if you just take the class than if you study informally through reading study guides.

Oh, and taking A&P will provide little preparation for the MCAT. Most of the body-related info is taught in intro bio courses, anyway.

My understanding is that 1 or 2 prereqs at a CC is no big deal as long as you have a good reason and you are not just doing it because you couldn't hang with those classes at the 4 year. OChem is a little tricky though, because at many schools it is the weeder class, so you should be able to thoughtfully defend this at interview time. I would hope that adcoms are a bit more understanding of this for non-trads, but I would guess it's also even more important that you ace them.

What they don't want to see is you deliberately taking prereqs like ochem at a CC instead of at a 4-yr institution just to get an easy "A" - for example, a student who takes ochem at a local CC the summer after freshman year and then goes back to his university the following fall. This is a no-no. Those who are non-trads and those in less-common situations (say, a student starting off at a CC for the first two years and then transferring to 4-yr university) are, of course, given some grace in this respect. As long as you aren't the first student, you should be okay, just be sure to explain why you took the courses at a CC instead.

I would highly recommend you complete all of the pre-med courses before taking the MCAT. I think self-study is fine for reviewing for the MCAT (that's what I did) but I think it is probably less than ideal to self-teach yourself the entire course.

Also, I believe most schools require general biology, so I don't think taking anatomy and physiology would replace them. But they would definitely be good courses to take and have on your academic record. And some schools require upper-division biology coursework, so the courses could help fulfill that requirement.

I'm a non-traditional applicant as well, and I know what it's like to want to start medical school as soon as possible. But it's most important to do things right and have the strongest application that you can have. This usually means having a strong MCAT, and I think that would be very tough without having completed all of the pre-reqs.

Take a look at the MCAT website, and check out their summary of all the topics covered--that's what's considered fair game to ask about. If you are confident you can do well on the test without having completed physics 2 and o-chem 2, then go for it, but definetely take some practice tests first to make sure, because performing poorly on the MCAT would really hurt your chances.

But I would still highly, highly recommend completing all coursework before taking the MCAT. I think you'll be much happier with your scores if you do.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the responses! I definately agree with everyone's response. I have my Master of Occupational therapy, and took tons of science based classes i.e. neuroscience, pediatrics, clinical medicine, clinical neurology etc. so I was hoping that the admissions people can see that I have a strong background in science. But if anything, I might just have to take a couple months off from work in the spring.