Couple Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MatttF

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I downloaded this spreadsheet off of some message boards (possibly this one) and it has all the schools listed out as Hopeful, High Chance, Go for It, Long Shot, etc. what do these terms mean?

How important is sGPA compared to GPA?

Do you have a higher chance of getting into a school if you are in-state?

Is it hard to get loans for med school?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I downloaded this spreadsheet off of some message boards (possibly this one) and it has all the schools listed out as Hopeful, High Chance, Go for It, Long Shot, etc. what do these terms mean?

They don't mean anything other than your numbers are in (or, not in) a certain range for that school. I'd sort the spreadsheet you have by the LizzyM score (if this column doesn't exist, make a new one that sums each school's MCAT and GPA*10, e.g. a 30 MCAT with a 3.7 GPA is a 67 LizzyM). Do this with your own GPA and MCAT and it should give you an idea of what schools you are competitive for, numerically, for the average applicant (e.g. cookie cutter, Caucasian).

How important is sGPA compared to GPA?

Irrelevant unless there is a huge discrepancy (like a 3.0 sGPA vs a 3.9 cGPA).

Do you have a higher chance of getting into a school if you are in-state?

Depends on the school. Private schools generally do not have any preference toward in-state applicants (exception coming to mind is Baylor). State schools tend to have strong preference to in-state applicants because state funding is used to train these individuals, so it's an investment by the state.

Is it hard to get loans for med school?

No.