Couple questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed86

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your time...

I'm just wondering, what exactly is "step 1"? I've heard it mentioned several times, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Could someone explain it to me please? (And if it applies, the steps that come after...)

My second question deals with medical school. When you apply to out-of-state schools and move there, how do you support yourself? Do you have to have a job on the side, do you room with someone else, or are there dorms... how does that work? Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

PreMed86 said:

I'm just wondering, what exactly is "step 1"? I've heard it mentioned several times, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. Could someone explain it to me please? (And if it applies, the steps that come after...)

My second question deals with medical school. When you apply to out-of-state schools and move there, how do you support yourself? Do you have to have a job on the side, do you room with someone else, or are there dorms... how does that work? Thanks a bunch.

Step I is the United States Medical Licensing Exam Step 1, read more about it here: http://www.usmle.org/

During medical school, almost all students take student loans to support themselves.

PreMed86 said:

As MWillie said, step 1 is USMLE step 1, also called boards. You take this test after your second year of med school to prove you've learned your stuff. Then usually in your 4th year you take step 2 boards proving you know clinical things. Step 2 even includes an interview with a pretend patient. Then I think you take Step 3 when you're a resident but I'm not sure about that.

It's probably impossible to have a job while in med school, since school is full-time (more than full time) work. Almost everybody takes out lots of loans and ends up in a ton of debt, but thankfully most doctors make good enough salaries to pay off this debt in time. The debt is one reason why you really have to be dedicated to wanting to be a doctor to make med school worth it (all of the studying and long hours being another major reason). Once you manage to get in to a school, you can find a local apartment. Lots of people do share apartments to cut down on cost.

hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
tigress said:
It's probably impossible to have a job while in med school, since school is full-time (more than full time) work. Almost everybody takes out lots of loans and ends up in a ton of debt, but thankfully most doctors make good enough salaries to pay off this debt in time. The debt is one reason why you really have to be dedicated to wanting to be a doctor to make med school worth it (all of the studying and long hours being another major reason). Once you manage to get in to a school, you can find a local apartment. Lots of people do share apartments to cut down on cost.

hope this helps

Geez, what's the average amount of debt that students will have accumulated by the time they're able to start paying back on it? And thanks for replying.

PreMed86 said:
Geez, what's the average amount of debt that students will have accumulated by the time they're able to start paying back on it? And thanks for replying.

I think its about 100K, if you want to know the school averages, usnews.com has it, but you gotta pay to see.

MWillie said:
I think its about 100K, if you want to know the school averages, usnews.com has it, but you gotta pay to see.

but doesn't medical school alone cost upwards of 100k? How much do students usually borrow for living expenses, etc?

PreMed86 said:
but doesn't medical school alone cost upwards of 100k? How much do students usually borrow for living expenses, etc?

definitely depends on the school...my husband goes to a more expensive school, and we'll for sure be about 200k in debt just from him...now if I go to the same school, well...hopefully we'll pay it off before we croak :eek:

oh yeah, I'm glad I can help, but mostly I'm replying because I'd rather do that than finish reading my notes on apoptosis :p

tigress said:
definitely depends on the school...my husband goes to a more expensive school, and we'll for sure be about 200k in debt just from him...now if I go to the same school, well...hopefully we'll pay it off before we croak :eek:

oh yeah, I'm glad I can help, but mostly I'm replying because I'd rather do that than finish reading my notes on apoptosis :p

:) ... So, what are the best places to get the loans from?

PreMed86 said:
:) ... So, what are the best places to get the loans from?

The government gives the best loans (i.e. with the least interest). But they are limited to $35,000 a year so many people take suplementary private loans to pay the extra costs of living. Definetely look into the option of going to your state school (if they have a strong system) they are always cheaper then private institutions.