Couples in Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PookieGirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My SO is in med school, as am I. We will both have off this summer and are trying to figure out what exactly to do. He likes basic science research, and I like public health/ global health. He would consider going abroad if we could be in the same place. How have other couples worked this out? Have you worked on projects together? Gotten funding together? Applied independently to the same program? Advice is much needed. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

From personal experience, I would say its okay for each of you to explore your own interests and to do your own thing. Take the summer to be independent. Last summer I stayed in state and did research at the school while my SO went abroad and visited family. I missed him terribly, but we called and e-mailed and made it through. I got to spend more time with friends and family and he got to see his family. Plus, the reunion when he got back a month later was amazing :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
lilmo said:
From personal experience, I would say its okay for each of you to explore your own interests and to do your own thing. Take the summer to be independent. Last summer I stayed in state and did research at the school while my SO went abroad and visited family. I missed him terribly, but we called and e-mailed and made it through. I got to spend more time with friends and family and he got to see his family. Plus, the reunion when he got back a month later was amazing :love:
stop it

PookieGirl said:
My SO is in med school, as am I. We will both have off this summer and are trying to figure out what exactly to do. He likes basic science research, and I like public health/ global health. He would consider going abroad if we could be in the same place. How have other couples worked this out? Have you worked on projects together? Gotten funding together? Applied independently to the same program? Advice is much needed. :love:

Advice: Don't be a weenie.

Pompacil said:
Advice: Don't be a weenie.

she's not being a weenie, she wants to be w/ the weenie. tee hee. :laugh:

Pompacil....greatest avatar ever

I literally laughed for weeks after that episode aired. Sheer and utter brilliance.

BaylorGuy said:
Pompacil....greatest avatar ever

I literally laughed for weeks after that episode aired. Sheer and utter brilliance.

I don't get it. Must be an inside joke.

Lesion Of Doom said:
I don't get it. Must be an inside joke.

The text says "Diamonds...she'll pretty much have to."

Does that help?

Anyway to the OP to elaborate on my "weenie" post, maybe yall should spend some time independent from each other. You know, if you love something let it go and if it comes back blah blah blah...

Sometimes I think couples in med school are together only for the jollies of being in a relationship and the crippling fear of being alone...because once they get together at the start of first year they NEVER separate.

I cant stand the married couples in my school. The daters are alright, but the married ones I hate more than the ones that have to ask a question in every single class