Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Couples match and the scramble....

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by one_notch_down, Nov 26, 2005.

1. one_notch_down

10+ Year Member

I am currently applying for an advanced speciality, and my fiancee is applying to a categorical speciality. I was trying to set up prelim interviews in every city where I had advanced offers (so we could also be together for intern year) but quickly learned that this is impossible to do (date conflicts, etc.).

My back up plan was only to interview for PGY-1 positions in 1 or 2 of our top choice cities and if we don't match there (which is likely) to scramble for an intern year spot where I matched into my advanced spot.

However, I just realized that on the Monday of match week we only find out IF we match, NOT WHERE!

So, how does one scramble into a certain geographic location? Is there a way to find out what city/region you have matched into so you can concentrate your efforts there? If I wait until after match day (to find out the location) to begin scrambling for my PGY-1 spot, will everything halfway-decent be taken?

For my advanced speciality I can do a PGY-1 year in any speciality - med,surg,transitional year, even a PGY-1 year in peds or fp. Anyone have any advice on other ways to deal with this?

Thanks for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. peds2006

peds2006 New Member

Medical Student
    As long as you are registered for the couples match, you will be able to find out what geographic location (but not specific program) your partner matched in if you went unmatched. This information will not be automatically emailed to you, but you will be able to call and obtain the information so that you can scramble into the same geographic area. I know it is specific as the state, they may even tell you what city. Hopefully this helps--you can also call the NRMP for more info--(202) 828-0566 or 1-866-617-5838. Good luck!

4. one_notch_down

10+ Year Member

Thanks Peds, that's great info!!

5. dodo2

dodo2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh.., I thought, in a couple's match either both match or they don't.

I really don't understand how this couple's match works.

6. daisyduke

daisyduke Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Couples submit ranked pairs of programs rather than just a list of single programs. A pair can consist of one person in program A and the other going unmatched. Obviously, this would be a pair further down your rank list. ;)

But what the OP is referring to is not matching in a prelim spot but both matching in their pgy2 positions-- and my understanding is that the prelim spots are ranked in a sublist, adding to the complexity of it all!

If you aren't couples matching, don't waste your brain cells trying to figure it out... you'll go nuts!!! :scared: