Couples matching as DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjustcuious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here participate in couples matching? My SO applied to pathology and has 8 interviews so far. I am applying to IM so I’m wondering if I should email the IM program at those institution to let them know we are couple matching. Just wondering if that might help me get an interview too

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a good thread about DOs doing the couples match - Couples Matched into Anesthesiology - AMA

The person definitely recommends sharing that information

question:
Were you two able to land more interviews by telling the PD about each other?
Were the programs more or less receptive about couples matching? Any pushback at the interview?
answer:
100% YES! The second either of us got an invite, we both sent emails to our respective coordinators.

Mine would say something like "Thank you for the invite, I'm looking forward to the dinner and interview. I wanted to let you know that I am participating in the couples match and my partner has not received an interview at your program yet. We would love to coordinate interviews if possible" or something along those lines.
Or "I am participating in the couples match and my partner recently received an invitation. I would greatly appreciate if you could consider my application".

I got ghosted on ~50% of those emails, however there were several times when one of us "coincidentally" got an invite the next day, while other applicants did not get the invite (meaning it wasn't part of a "wave" of invites). Most programs were very receptive about couples matching, but the ones in big cities cared less about it.