Couples Questions about GPA and W's(withdraws)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coramDeo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just a few quick questions!

1. I'm currently sitting at a 3.43 cGPA right now, and another year of good grades would take me to about 3.54. Would 0.1 grade point make a big difference given that I'm at the lower end of the GPA spectrum?

2. I am eligible to graduate after this current semester - would it better to graduate and take the 2nd semester as a post-grad/post-bac? (I've heard that if I were to do that, the courses in the 2nd semester would be considered 'post-bac'. Supposedly, it would look better to have a 4.0 post-bac GPA separate from my uGPA, instead of the 2nd semester going towards the uGPA - is this true?)

3. I've read that having one or two W's on your transcript is okay, is having W's on your last couple semesters particularly worse or is it not an issue? (I'm taking a couple grad school level courses which I may take the W in if they don't go as well as planned.)

Thanks!
Edit: word change

Members don't see this ad.

1. I'm currently sitting at a 3.43 cGPA right now, and another year of good grades would take me to about 3.54. Would 0.1 grade point make a big difference given that I'm at the lower end of the GPA spectrum? From what I know 3.5 is kind of a cutoff in med school admissions chances (not that you can't get in with a lower GPA, but that a lot of ppl aim to hit at least 3.5), so yes I think it would be significant.

2. I am eligible to graduate after this current semester - would it better to graduate and take the 2nd semester as a post-grad/post-bac? (I've heard that if I were to do that, the courses in the 2nd semester would be considered 'post-bac'. Supposedly, it would look better to have a 4.0 post-bac GPA separate from my uGPA, instead of the 2nd semester going towards the uGPA - is this true?) Hmm not too sure about this - undergrad GPA trumps all so imo it's better to raise ur cGPA to 3.54 than to graduate early and do post-bac. Someone else should probably chime in though

3. I've read that having one or two W's on your transcript is okay, is having W's on your last couple semesters particularly worse or is it not an issue? (I'm taking a couple grad school level courses which I may take the W in if they don't go as well as planned.) I would avoid W's if you can esp. in later semesters. If it was me, I'd try to get rid of the grad classes before the drop deadline or just take them P/NP.

Thanks!

1. I'm currently sitting at a 3.43 cGPA right now, and another year of good grades would take me to about 3.54. Would 0.1 grade point make a big difference given that I'm at the lower end of the GPA spectrum?

2. I am eligible to graduate after this current semester - would it better to graduate and take the 2nd semester as a post-grad/post-bac? (I've heard that if I were to do that, the courses in the 2nd semester would be considered 'post-bac'. Supposedly, it would look better to have a 4.0 post-bac GPA separate from my uGPA, instead of the 2nd semester going towards the uGPA - is this true?)

3. I've read that having one or two W's on your transcript is okay, is having W's on your last couple semesters particularly worse or is it not an issue? (I'm taking a couple grad school level courses which I may take the W in if they don't go as well as planned.)

Thanks!
1. I don’t think .01 will matter regardless of how high or low your GPA is.

2. I’ve never heard of this before. Maybe you’re referring to an “upward trend”? In general, if you did well in whatever your final semester was (undergrad or not, doesn’t matter) that is, in theory, what kind of student you will start medical school as

3. I don’t know. I had one W in my second last semester and no one ever asked me about it.

Edit: I think I misread .1 as .01

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

1) Yes, a 0.11 GPA increase would make a difference.

2) Yes. And though the undergrad postbac grades would appear on a different line, they'd be incorporated into your cumulative undergrad GPAs on yet another line (see example below). Of course, you must keep in mind that as a non-degree candidate, you would have the lowest registration priority, possibly making it more difficult to get upper-level classes. And any educational loans you have might require repayment sooner.
upload_2018-9-11_5-57-45.png

3) One or two Ws on your transcript is not an issue. P/F grades won't affect your GPA, but as you can see from the example provided, whether you passed or failed would be indicated where it's easily seen.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks!
The upward grade trend will help a lot, and yes, a 3.5 > 3.4.

2. Doesn't matter

3. You can have some Fs on your transcript and still get into med school.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys for your answer!

Thank you guys for your answer!
The mcat becomes very important for you. Minimize your commitments and treat it like a full time job. Take it only when you're ready and study like your career depends on it. I have an even lower gpa so I empathize with your position.

Reactions: 1 user