Course Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moki

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please forgive me if I should not post this question in this particular forum. I am doing so, because I feel like this group would have the specific knowledge and still be close enough to the pre-med years to remember.

The Q: During the year before med school, would you recommend taking a Biochemistry course or a Comparative Functional Anatomy course?

I'm aware that the general consensus is that one should not bother to pre-study and that a number of med schools "highly recommend" biochem.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You should take the course that you feel more ill-prepared for. If you have a stronger bio/chem background and/or tend to do very well in those type of course, then I would say take the anatomy. If you excel at visuospatial skills or have had some other anatomy, then I would say take the biochemistry. It all depends on you and your previous experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you suspect, it doesn't really matter. However, keep in mind that if your class is like mine was then most people will have taken biochemistry already and very few will have taken anatomy. At my school having had biochem already made it a relatively easy course. Having had anatomy wouldn't have helped much (more detail and more clinically oriented than anything you're likely to find at an undergrad level).

I second biochem. I had two quarters before med school and it really made first year biochem more bearable and actually fun:eek:

Thank you all for your advice.

i agree with the others---biochem

Excellent. I love a consensus. Biochem it is.

Thank you, again.