Course Equivalency Tests in particular UMSL

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

semopreod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a question for anyone who has tested out of the required biological sciences classes in the first year of optometry school. I know that at my undergraduate institution you could take exams for credit in the course as long as you passed it, I believe it was called CLEP (college level examination program). For example, at UMSL in the first semester there is a biochemistry and epidemiology class. I took both of these at my undergraduate school and i wondered if anyone has ever taken advantage of this opportunity or if it even existed at UMSL. I believe this would take away from the disasterous load of courses in the first year but i may be wrong about if the program even exists. Any help is as always much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know, CLEP tests are for undergraduate credit only. They will not apply at UMSL. They will like that you took biochemistry because, even though it isn't a pre-requisite, it is one of the courses they recommend as one of your biology credits.

The epidemiology course you take your first year isn't just general epidemiology. It is somewhat tailored to an OD program. I believe the same goes for the biochem class, though it is a different instructor now.

You will still be glad you took those courses because it'll be that much easier when you take them in optometry school. Same goes for anatomy, physiology, histology, pathology, etc. A lot of first year OD school builds on what you've already learned in undergrad.

*whispers* and epi is often a very welcome GPA cushion. ;)