Course List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hohenheim

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a course list for MDPhD programs at his/her school? I am trying to make some comparisons - it would be nice if you could split it up into semesters - also if you have a link to a web page etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Hohenheim said:
Does anyone have a course list for MDPhD programs at his/her school? I am trying to make some comparisons - it would be nice if you could split it up into semesters - also if you have a link to a web page etc.

Umm...maybe I don't understand your question...however, that is sort of difficult to do considering that we have the option to choose from a variety of graduate programs in the biological sciences, which each have their own course requirements and electives. If we are talking about med school courses, then we can give you specific courses; however they are pretty much the same everywhere you go, its just a matter how they are organized and how much PBL there is...

I am happy to help, just be a bit more specific what comparisons you are hoping to make.

Maybe by courses you mean graduate programs like mol/cell bio vs. immunology, vs. genetic, etc etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
What I kinda was looking for was the Med School Course List, as well as the electives any SDNers had chosen gradschool wise (MSTP). So its kinda the basic list plus how anyone decided to customize his/her choices.

Thanks!!!

I would encourage you to check out individual programs' web sites, since curricula vary considerably between medical schools.

At UCSF, we have a new (now 5 years old) medical school curriculum that integrates anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology, etc by organ system or major thematic area. I highly enjoyed learning the material during the first two years.

I was also able to take several graduate school courses during the first two years of medical school (i.e. Cell bio, Genetics, Neurodevelopment, etc). It is pretty flexible in terms of the classes you can take.

For more info check out:
http://medschool.ucsf.edu/

Hope this helps!

Thanks Vader! :thumbup:

I assume you are MDPhD. Since you were able to take the PhD courses in MedSchool, does that mean you somehow were able to fast track your MD/PhD - or is the research aspect the bummer WRT time...

Hohenheim said:
Thanks Vader! :thumbup:

I assume you are MDPhD. Since you were able to take the PhD courses in MedSchool, does that mean you somehow were able to fast track your MD/PhD - or is the research aspect the bummer WRT time...

Regardless of where you do your MD/PhD or what you do it in, research is always what will slow you down. My program had a similar sort of thing where, rather than taking Grad classes during med school, we "placed out" of certain grad school classes based on our performance in it's corresponding med school course. As a result, we only had to take one required course and then get something like 6 more lecture course requirements (not counting Journal Clubs, Seminar Series and the like) which worked out to a grand total of 3 courses over the course of your grad school career. I took two of them one semester and the 3rd the following semester while working FT in my lab (I'd chosen one prior to starting the program) so I was able to just plow ahead in the lab from day 1. I think this is probably more the rule rather than the exception but YMMV.

BE (now PE)