course load in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elz787

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that your first year in dental school you start off with around 24 hours, right? Well, this seems really overwhelming, and my question is : Did you take a heavy course load during undergrad to try and see if you could "handle" it, or are you just gonna "wing" it?

I'm taking a really tough courseload next year (phys, phys lab, 3 bios, bio lab, and a writing class). Should I do this, is this a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is 24 credit hours, but it's only a tad tougher than college. Keep in mind that a significant portion of your first year and especially second year course-load will consist of lab courses that don't require you to study. There are also a lot of other bull**** courses that don't require much effort from you.

You're going to find very quickly that the 24 credit hours don't really seem like 24. Relax. Dental school really isn't that tough. Now, if you want to specialize in certain areas, you'll need lots of A's. That'll require some studying on your part. As for me, I finished with mostly B's and averaged 3-4 hours per week studying, except when exams came around. Then it was hell for me because I found myself reading materials for the first time the night before the exam.

I'm a good demonstration of how even a poor work ethic can get you through dental school in strong standing.

elz787 said:
Hey guys, I know that your first year in dental school you start off with around 24 hours, right? Well, this seems really overwhelming, and my question is : Did you take a heavy course load during undergrad to try and see if you could "handle" it, or are you just gonna "wing" it?

I'm taking a really tough courseload next year (phys, phys lab, 3 bios, bio lab, and a writing class). Should I do this, is this a good idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
In order to graduate on time and start dental school next fall I had to do 19 credit hours fall, 19.5 winter and I will be taking 12 credit hours spring term (which is equal to 24 hours for a semester). To be honest it has kept me really busy but it hasn't been as impossible as it seems. I wouldn't put yourself through it unless you have to. When it comes in D school you will just roll with the punches and manage your way through it.

I took 23 hours one semester and 24 another in college, and honestly, it wasn't as much work as dental school. That being said, it's not that difficult to get by in school, you just realize the level of work you have to put in.

We had way more than 24 credits my first semester of dental school (it was 33 as I recall). It took time, but it wasn't difficult in the way you might think of difficult courses.

At the end of my first year, I had 67 total credits earned, as I recall.

thanks for all your input, I had wanted to take really heavy course load to "test" myself, but after visiting my counselor, it seems i have to do it anyway to graduate early :oops: , alls well that ends well.

elz787 said:
thanks for all your input, I had wanted to take really heavy course load to "test" myself, but after visiting my counselor, it seems i have to do it anyway to graduate early :oops: , alls well that ends well.

I'd rethink that if I were you. If you are applying next year, you do not want to kill yourself. The application process takes a lot more time that you would originally expect. Even if you submit your application on May 15 and are the first one through AADSAS, for most schools you will have to complete secondaries (Some of these take more time than AADSAS). With luck, you will also have several interviews, many of which can conflict with your schedule.

I have taken 21 hours for a few semesters and it is do-able. However, I don't think that I could have managed it while I was applying.

Also, if you are graduating early just to do it, I would reconsider. Unless your dental school specifically requires a bachlors, once your accepted, it really does not mean a whole lot (at least that's what I'm discovering). I would enjoy your time in college...you'll have pleanty of opportunites to stress yourself out in the future ;) .

elz787 said:

Hope you are not a guy.

No guy with a penis (or maybe all you need is a cock-pump) and testicles would write such a ***** statement.

Pikeyman said:
Hope you are not a guy.

No guy with a penis (or maybe all you need is a cock-pump) and testicles would write such a ***** statement.

Wow...sort of funny but uncalled for in my opinion. I assume you are a firm supporter of patriarchy? ;)

it is uncalled for, and no i'm not a guy.

This thread quickly took a turn for the worse...kinda enjoyed being a spectator though, although, as mentioned, it was uncalled for.

Pikeyman said:
Hope you are not a guy.

Easy there - decency and civility please when crafting responses.

My apologies to those whom I've offended.

But please no more "I have a VERY VERY hard load". You aren't the only one who have done that. We've all been there and done that but we didn't whine.

Spend your time going through the links on the front page of SDN Pre-Dental forum and come up with questions we can help you with.