Course Load Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Threeleggedcrow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question isn't so much course load as it is the distribution of prerequisite science courses.

My major is in foreign cultures, not science. Therefore I am taking the prerequisite science classes for dental school.

I plan on taking a gap year in order to gain more experience shadowing dentists, continuing my research that I have been doing throughout college and possibly traveling abroad.

My course load will never be light, by that I mean, I always take the maximum number of credits possible to make the most out of my education. However, because I am planning on taking a gap year and thus plan on taking the DAT during my senior year, I was wondering how dental schools would view distributing science classes evenly throughout my college career.

To be specific, I will be taking one science course per semester (including the summer semesters).

I have heard rumors that dental schools like to see multiple science courses taken simultaneously to show that the student can handle a rigorous course load. Is this true? I feel that my schedule is rigorous due to the other upper level classes I am taking for my major. However, because prerequisites are so important, I feel that it would be more beneficial for me to space them out so that I can devote more attention to them individually.

Thoughts? I would love to hear opinions but facts (from a reliable source) would be preferred.

Members don't see this ad.

take more than 1 per term. if i've learned anything from my undergrad, it's that science and non-science classes take up totally different parts of the brain. if you only have one science per term, you'll be in some pretty severe trouble when it comes to D1 and 2 when you take like 6 sciences at the same time.

even if people say you should be fine in terms of getting in.. in terms of doing well once you get in, i would suggest more rigor.

Members don't see this ad :)
take more than 1 per term. if i've learned anything from my undergrad, it's that science and non-science classes take up totally different parts of the brain. if you only have one science per term, you'll be in some pretty severe trouble when it comes to D1 and 2 when you take like 6 sciences at the same time.

even if people say you should be fine in terms of getting in.. in terms of doing well once you get in, i would suggest more rigor.

Agreed.
16 units of UD science >>>> 16 units UD non-science.