Course load...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gozes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is probably been asked a bunch of times, and I've read other threads, but compaing the threads to ADCOM sites, they seem to contrast what is here. Basically my questions is does the number of credit hours in your course load have that much significance?
I'm in a class right now that is literally making me want to gauge my eyes out and with the MCAT coming up, I just dont want to spend any time in it since it's irrelevant to my life. I'm registered for 16 hours and it'll bring me to 13 after the drop. Full time here is 12 hours. My main concern is that my freshman/sophmore year i dropped two math courses that brought me down to 11 credit hours twice. Which is already a red flag on my application according to my pre-med advisor. I took 17 credit hours last spring to prove that i could handle a heavy course load and did fine and I've done three summers of classes in a row. I'm a year ahead of credits... will dropping to 13 make my application weak or am i being neurotic and thinking too much into this? Someone please respond!

Members don't see this ad.

Also I work as a student leader on campus and do research if that has any significance. I do not just do school!

Also I work as a student leader on campus and do research if that has any significance. I do not just do school!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are being neurotic and thinking too much into this. If you hate the class and don't need it, get yourself out of there! If your GPA is high and you do well on the MCAT, you will likely get interviewed and worst case you will be asked about why your course load was light during some semesters.

I took only 3 classes both semesters senior year and so far it hasn't taken me out of the running for this cycle...so far :)

Drop the course. Do well on the MCAT, maintain a solid GPA and that will alleviate any concerns about your academic abilities.

Another quick question then, will ADCOM's know if i dropped a course without getting a W?I know that if i don't get a W it won't be on my transcript but i was reading about the withdraw thing for the AMCAS and it said that if you've withdrawn from any course regardless of receiving a W or not have to put it down that you've withdrawn. Wouldn't three withdrawals look real shady? (Yes i know that I got myself into this problem, but i can't help my math deficiencies).

Another quick question then, will ADCOM's know if i dropped a course without getting a W?I know that if i don't get a W it won't be on my transcript but i was reading about the withdraw thing for the AMCAS and it said that if you've withdrawn from any course regardless of receiving a W or not have to put it down that you've withdrawn. Wouldn't three withdrawals look real shady? (Yes i know that I got myself into this problem, but i can't help my math deficiencies).

That's news to me. I can't imagine why they'd care if you're still in the beginning of semester withdrawal period. No way they'd know if you didn't tell them, and I'm not sure why anybody would bother to report that.

Then again, I'm no adcom, so maybe Gyngyn can fill you in.

If it's not on your transcript it didn't happen (just like medical records).

(Yes i know that I got myself into this problem, but i can't help my math deficiencies).

Really? :p

You should start drafting your interview/secondary answer about what strategies you use to overcome challenges....and then use those strategies to overcome this challenge. :oops:

Course load matters but GPA matters so much more. Only worry about your courseload when you have everything else under control.