Course load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future DDS RH

Future DPM
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So I just wanted to know dental schools look down upon my classes If I only have 13 - 14 unit semesters my last 2 years of undergrad? For example my semesters would look like this:

Ochem 5 units
Microbiology 5 units
Psychology 4 units

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,
So I just wanted to know dental schools look down upon my classes If I only have 13 - 14 unit semesters my last 2 years of undergrad? For example my semesters would look like this:

Ochem 5 units
Microbiology 5 units
Psychology 4 units

IMO it depends on the school. Some state very clearly that class loads are a major component of their decision making while others not so much. This has to be part of your overall strategy to determine what schools are 'competitive' for you to apply to. Personally, I had several semesters in my undergrad with 13-15 hours and I ended up with six acceptances. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Last TWO years is half of undergrad. One or two semesters is no big deal but it may raise some questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

Ochem 5 units
Microbiology 5 units
Psychology 4 units

I'm in the same boat! Next semester I have OChem, Quantitative Analysis, and Intro to Neuroscience which puts me at 12 or 13 I don't remember. However, if I can do well I think it'll be good for me. I'm not purposefully taking so few hours. All I have left is major science work!

What about the case of 12 hours of ALL graduate level coursework (I'm taking 4 of them this semester in a MS program)? Will that be looked unfavorably as well...?

I took a reduced courseload (3 courses) while studying for the DAT. It's fine. It's better to take a reduced courseload and do well than to try and overextend yourself and destroy your GPA in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What about the case of 12 hours of ALL graduate level coursework (I'm taking 4 of them this semester in a MS program)? Will that be looked unfavorably as well...?
No