course related question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2DEG

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks:

As I planning my course work for the next 3 or 4 semesters, I could use some advice.

I gotta take two biology courses. Is it possible to take Gen. Bio 1, and then take "Anatomy-Physiology" or "Genetics & Mol. Bio" instead of Gen Bio 2? Or do I gotta take Gen Bio 2?

I guess I should contact the admissions office and ask them about that.

In addition to the required courses, I plan to take Microbiology, Biochem, Anat&Phys, and Genetics. If I can't take all of these 4, I will try to study on my own.

Thanks in advance.

Shahab

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by shahab
Hi folks:

As I planning my course work for the next 3 or 4 semesters, I could use some advice.

I gotta take two biology courses. Is it possible to take Gen. Bio 1, and then take "Anatomy-Physiology" or "Genetics & Mol. Bio" instead of Gen Bio 2? Or do I gotta take Gen Bio 2?

I guess I should contact the admissions office and ask them about that.

In addition to the required courses, I plan to take Microbiology, Biochem, Anat&Phys, and Genetics. If I can't take all of these 4, I will try to study on my own.

Thanks in advance.

Shahab

To your first question, generally the answer is no unless you can test out of Gen bio 2.

Most colleges and universities require that you complete introductory biology sequences before you can take advanced courses like the ones you suggest. I'd take Gen Bio 2 and then take an advanced course or two but not before. There are basic things that you need to have a fundamental understanding of before moving on to the advanced courses. Before checking with any admissions office, you may want to first check with your undergraduate institution for the prerequisites for those advanced courses. I highly doubt they'd let you do what you are suggesting.

explosivo is, as usual, right. take gen bio 2 before you take any higher-level bios-- you'll be glad you did.

where are you doing your post-bacc work? in durham?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet Tea:

I sent you a private message yesterday. I guess you didn't get it.
Well, I am doing post-bacc at NCSU. I actually work at the centinneal campus..so it is pretty convenient.

Since you live here too..lets keep in touch. Let me know what you are doing..in terms of medical school?

My email address is [email protected] (Hopefully my employer is not seeing this email):) I am not doing anything illegal anyways..but still..

Take care. Hope to hear from you soon.
Shahab