Course Strategy/Recommendations for DIY Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocuroniumRedux

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of finishing prerequisites at my local university in a DIY post-bac. After my summer ochem lab is completed, the only remaining core prerequisite I have would be a single quarter of physics lab. Instead of enrolling in any courses next semester, my plan is to prioritize MCAT studying, volunteering, and my full-time research position in a molecular biology lab.

While I know that it's typically possible to apply without meeting all prereqs (so long as the class is completed before matriculation), would it be a bad idea to defer taking physics lab until after I apply for the 2024 application cycle? My undergraduate degree is in chemical engineering, so it's not like I've been avoiding hard science classes, but I'm also over four years out of undergrad. Also, should I take any upper division biology prior to applying? I'm aware that some schools like/require upper division biology classes, but I feel like I wouldn't have the bandwidth to prioritize my other obligations if I were taking another class. If I should take upper division biology courses, what courses would you recommend?

Definitely appreciate any and all feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm in the process of finishing prerequisites at my local university in a DIY post-bac. After my summer ochem lab is completed, the only remaining core prerequisite I have would be a single quarter of physics lab. Instead of enrolling in any courses next semester, my plan is to prioritize MCAT studying, volunteering, and my full-time research position in a molecular biology lab.

While I know that it's typically possible to apply without meeting all prereqs (so long as the class is completed before matriculation), would it be a bad idea to defer taking physics lab until after I apply for the 2024 application cycle? My undergraduate degree is in chemical engineering, so it's not like I've been avoiding hard science classes, but I'm also over four years out of undergrad. Also, should I take any upper division biology prior to applying? I'm aware that some schools like/require upper division biology classes, but I feel like I wouldn't have the bandwidth to prioritize my other obligations if I were taking another class. If I should take upper division biology courses, what courses would you recommend?

Definitely appreciate any and all feedback!

As long as you are certain the course will still be available and that you'll be able to register, it should be fine to take physics lab after application. Medical schools typically verify that you've completed their required coursework prior to matriculation, not at the time of application. You may be asked to explain any missing prerequisite coursework on your secondaries, but that won't require more than a few short sentences in your case. Ensure you have a plan B in the event the lab is cancelled or reaches its enrollment limit before you can register.

It is unnecessary to take any upper division science classes if you don't need the GPA repair or you're not targeting the few schools that require A&P/genetics/microbiology. Refer to the MSAR if you're unsure which schools those are. When I did my DIY postbac, I did not take a single science course outside the standard BCPM prereqs, and it was a nonissue. A solid performance in your postbac courses should speak for itself.

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you are certain the course will still be available and that you'll be able to register, it should be fine to take physics lab after application. Medical schools typically verify that you've completed their required coursework prior to matriculation, not at the time of application. You may be asked to explain any missing prerequisite coursework on your secondaries, but that won't require more than a few short sentences in your case. Ensure you have a plan B in the event the lab is cancelled or reaches its enrollment limit before you can register.
That's good to know--my biggest concern is a class cancellation or enrollment limit, so I'll still try to take the course earlier if possible. Things are complicated are little bit because I only need a single two unit physics lab, and my local university only has a combined lecture/lab class. Really hard to justify taking nearly a month off work to go to another state to take a summer physics lab, and there's no guarantee there's even space.

It is unnecessary to take any upper division science classes if you don't need the GPA repair or you're not targeting the few schools that require A&P/genetics/microbiology. Refer to the MSAR if you're unsure which schools those are. When I did my DIY postbac, I did not take a single science course outside the standard BCPM prereqs, and it was a nonissue. A solid performance in your postbac courses should speak for itself.
Since my undergrad and postbac GPAs are both ~3.9 it looks like I'm in this boat too. If I can fit cell bio or physiology in for fun I might consider it, but I'd rather just screen my school list to exclude the places with extra boxes to check. Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user