Courseload + ECs, how much is too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 Though, to be fair, other than occasional heavy reading/writing requirements, liberal arts courses tend to be the epitome of effortless. I've had weeks in physics that took more work than months of liberal arts classes.

Yeah, as a liberal arts major myself, I'd have to agree. Although I've only completed one pre-req, that was pretty hard and I'd say I'm humbled in the face of science. That said, I should say that taking liberal arts (foreign language literature) at an Ivy League is challenging in its own ways, although I make no contest with orgo. : )

I also have to say that I was simply not emotionally mature enough in undergrad to handle coursework, and am coming at it with a very different perspective now, having taken care of some things in the meanwhile.
 
Yeah, as a liberal arts major myself, I'd have to agree. Although I've only completed one pre-req, that was pretty hard and I'd say I'm humbled in the face of science. That said, I should say that taking liberal arts (foreign language literature) at an Ivy League is challenging in its own ways, although I make no contest with orgo. : )

I also have to say that I was simply not emotionally mature enough in undergrad to handle coursework, and am coming at it with a very different perspective now, having taken care of some things in the meanwhile.

I'll spot you foreign languages, but only because I'm completely hopeless when it comes to learning another language. My brain is just NOT setup for it. That said, I know people who learn obscure languages like I learn math (that's with minimal effort, for the record).
 
I'll spot you foreign languages, but only because I'm completely hopeless when it comes to learning another language. My brain is just NOT setup for it. That said, I know people who learn obscure languages like I learn math (that's with minimal effort, for the record).

Haha, how generous of you.

Is this an intellectual masturbation contest? Makes me feel like I'm back in college already. : )
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll spot you foreign languages, but only because I'm completely hopeless when it comes to learning another language. My brain is just NOT setup for it. That said, I know people who learn obscure languages like I learn math (that's with minimal effort, for the record).

Spanish was actually harder than Orgo for me... and Orgo wasn't a cinch.
 
I'll spot you foreign languages, but only because I'm completely hopeless when it comes to learning another language. My brain is just NOT setup for it. That said, I know people who learn obscure languages like I learn math (that's with minimal effort, for the record).

Taught myself basic conversational norwegian in a month. Could totally go to Norway and survive on my own for 2 weeks if I wanted to 🙂
 
i would err on the side of having a lighter courseload so that you can do better in the courses. I have seen so many people who had lighter courseloads and did well in those classes get into lots of medical schools. whereas people with lower grades regardless of the excuse find it impossible to get into any medical school.
 
Haha, how generous of you.

Is this an intellectual masturbation contest? Makes me feel like I'm back in college already. : )

ROFL, not at all. Just pointing out that I agree that I forgot foreign languages when I made my earlier blanket statement 😉
 
i would err on the side of having a lighter courseload so that you can do better in the courses. I have seen so many people who had lighter courseloads and did well in those classes get into lots of medical schools. whereas people with lower grades regardless of the excuse find it impossible to get into any medical school.

Yeah I've been hearing that over and over, and I think that's wise. The perfectionist in me wants to go for it all, but I think this is how I got myself here to begin with. I'll remember your advice, thank you.