Courses for UCD Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who M.D.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this an accurate list of the courses one takes while studying medicine at UCD? Does "stage 2" correspond to "year 2" etc.?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Who M.D. said:
Is this an accurate list of the courses one takes while studying medicine at UCD? Does "stage 2" correspond to "year 2" etc.?

Thanks for your help!

It depends on whether you're in the 5 or 6 year program. UCD has a pdf file somewhere on their website that lists the years and courses in detail.

Cheers,
Jocks

If anyone happens to find that pdf, I'd love to see it. *wink wink*

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i actually have the pdf file - it's last year's ucd med handbook. if you want it, just PM me with your email address and i'll send it to you.

arach :D

Essentially yes however there are a extras.
You get a chance to do electives!

Stage two does correspond to year 1 in the 5 year course or year 2 in the 6 year course. However no - one refers to them as stages as event the heads still use the old Systems 1 (stage 2 and 3) and Systems 2 (stage 4) terminology and still live by its course content. It will get better but it was a bit of a mess this year . It being the introduction of modularisation and all .

Hey Fender, how much opportunity is there for electives, specifically during clinical years?

to be honest i havent got a clue, my class is the first with the possiblity to do electives in ucd and its a bit of a mess. Probably not a lot i would guess . They say 'electives' but they try and push you to do 'medical electives' such as anthropoly or reviews of clinical cases. Depends on what you want but as i said its kinda up in the air.

They havent decided wether or not your first year gpa will count towards your end of college gpa yet, from what ive heard.

The foundation year you mean? So if it isn't, all that would be in your Cum GPA would be 1st Med on...though it'd show up on your transcript, I assume.

with regard to electives it depends on if you're talking about courses during the preclinical years (where you might get some electives due to the new semesterization and modularization of the curriculum) or if you mean clinical elective time built into the program (of which there's none). that's what your summers are for LOL. at least it gets you out of working. when your tuition is 35K CDN a year, what difference does summer work make LOL? best thing that ever happened to me hahaha

So, it isn't a problem to do an elective somewhere during the summer. Good, I was planning on doing that anyway. Do you get graded so you can put that on your application for residency, or is it just for experience and LORs?

electives you do in north america during the summer have no bearing on your ucd grades....no grades are given. the only evaluation you get would be any evaluation form/scheme used by the place where the elective is taking place and of course the content of the reference letter(s) you get.

Cool. That's good to know. How hard was it for you to get electives in the US?

not doing any electives in the u.s. i don't think. in any case it's difficult to do any electives through university programs after 3rd year because most schools want you to be in final year year, which you technically are in when you hit the summer after 4th year (so next year for me). once you hit that point the only thing you have to be sure of is that you have peds and obs/gyn done because most places want you to have those done before any elective. the schools (i'm told) are pretty accomodating about giving preference to north american students when they decide who does these rotations when.

of course, if you have connections there's usually no problem getting an elective in the summer after 3rd year. i know a few people who are doing them in canada this summer thanks to connections. i'm just not really even trying for the states at all. i was toying with it but i'd rather take my chances with canada. it's where i want to end up and i really don't want to go to all the time and expense to apply in teh states when i really don't even want to be there.

Ah, yeah I knew about the final year thing. I didn't realize what year you were in. That's cool that you want to end up in Canada. Good luck!