Court Hears Anti-Trust MOC Case...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
This would be a great issue for pain specialty societies to file amicus briefs opposing MOC racketeering...

Their lawsuit is being funded by the Practicing Physicians of America, a doctors' group with a goal of ending MOC. "Unnecessary time requirements and financial burdens are robbing patients of their time with physicians," the group says on its website. The organization's treasurer, Westby Fisher, MD, is a vocal MOC critic, with articles on his blog and in medical journals inveighing against the program.

Fisher contends that one of ABIM's purposes for its MOC program is to enrich itself. "Corresponding to the implementation of time-limited certification, $55 million of physician testing fees were transferred from the American Board of Internal Medicine to its Foundation between 1989 and 1999," Fisher, a cardiac electrophysiologist and former MedPage Today columnist, wrote in a 2016 article for the Journal of Interventional Cardiology and Electrophysiology. "From 2000 through 2007, an additional $20.66 million [was] transferred from the ABIM to its Foundation, culminating in the purchase of a $2.3 million luxury condominium in December 2007."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I enjoyed the comments on the article.

I hope they win the lawsuits. I can’t believe it got dismissed the first time. Makes me think money passed hands under the table.

This has been posted many times on these pages, but if you haven’t seen it - it is a must.

The conflict of interest that is discovered is shocking.

Reactions: 1 user