courtesy interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

I am an FMG (from Australia) and I have 4 interviews set up (some at VERY COMPETITIVE Places--DHMC!) However, I am concerned because some one told me that they interviews were just courtesy interviews (because I have worked with someone there) and I didn't really have a shot. Is this true? Once you get an interview is everyone on the same level again? I was very excited about my interview, now I am just nervous.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

No, that's foolish. Most places, if you work there (or have worked with someone), will interview you - these aren't just "courtesy interviews" (more often than not) - you're now a "known quantity", and, as an attending told me, "Programs interview 1. Their students 2. People that have rotated with them and 3. everyone else, high numbers down."

If you think about it, it's counterintuitive - that you interview people you're not serious about, because you know their work, while, instead, favoring unknown quantities, who only come across on paper. It would behoove you NOT to work somewhere, if the prevailing wisdom about "courtesy interviews" was true.

Of course, there's always the true "courtesy interview", but that's only if you're a total tool.

Apollyon, as usual, is correct.

Dont' treat the interviews as courtesy. Once you get that interview offer, you are on a level playing field just like everyone else (actually, you may be in a higher position as they know what you can do... assuming you rock).

I talked with one program director at a place I was rotation at, and he said that they do interview all the students that rotate through there. Not sure if he used the words courtesy interview, though.

At another EM residency I rotated at, I found out through some sleuth work that they do not offer interviews to all the students that rotate through there...

so take your pick.